Lunches, Lunch Boxes, Flasks and of Course Pies!

Levi_501
Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
Afternoon all

Whilst the ‘How do I get a shirt to work without creasing it’ debate carries on, I wondered if I could have some thoughts on carrying lunches when commuting.

I have tried several options over the years. I currently use the plastic lunch boxes with clip down lockable lids. Whilst they are usually fine, when I take more liquid stuffs, smoothies, spaghetti bolognese etc. occasionally, may be four or five times a year, the odd bit creeps out. I normally have the lunch box within a plastic carrier bag within my rucksack, but it is just a bit annoying.

I am taking the big plunge of £16 and going for a Thermos ThermoCafe 1.2ltr multi purpose stainless steel flask; effectively a food flask.

http://www.thermosonline.co.uk/store/Th ... te_product

Does anyone else have good solutions?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    How do you get a pie in that?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    You need better locking containers!

oblig. old joke:
    David Beckham turns up for training one morning carrying a flask.
    Alex Ferguson asks, "What's that, Dave?"
    David replies: "It's called a Thermos; Victoria gave it to me and told me it keeps hot things hot, and cold things cold"
    "OK, so what have you got in it today?"
    "Two cups of coffee and a choc ice!"
  • SNMarine
    SNMarine Posts: 36
    if you have a micro wave in the office take lunch in frozen, maybe a little condensation, but not food leakage.

of course this won't really work for sandwiches ;-)
    Ridley Noah FAST
    Ridley Damocles
    Colnago World Cup CX
    Wednesdays - Honda CBF 500 (ps happy to pace anyone)
  • Levi_501
    rubertoe wrote:
    How do you get a pie in that?

You will be amazed what you can chuck in a blender :mrgreen:

Frozen, nice idea I had never thought of that. Yes, we do have a nuking machine, not quite as Fathr Vito Cornelius's though!

If I had one as good as him, there would not be the lunch box dilemma!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Do you not have the option of buying lunch at work? Much easier that way unless you are cycling every day to work.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Levi_501
    Every day and besides, bought food is full of sh one tea. When you prepare you own food you know what goes in it!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Levi_501 wrote:
    Every day and besides, bought food is full of sh one tea. When you prepare you own food you know what goes in it!

Yeh I know that only too well. I prepare and take a packed lunch every day, except when I occasionally commute in like today (its a 75 mile round trip) when I buy a good meal in our pretty good canteen.

I've found the "lock n lock" containers to be very good and have reliable seals, use a big rectangular one for my packed lunch.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Take one of these:

Put your plastic box inside it, it keeps it all in once space and together. I have 3 that I alternate between. I put a plastic box inside it which keeps it closed and anything else I bring. Yesterday I had pasta with cheese, spinach and salami with a little olive oil. Monday was beef tagine and cous cous leftover. Also because its a solid shape I find that it doesn't really damage my shirts too much and keeps them flat in my bag.

HT_04_T72_4108V_T4_SP14_EC_3?$PDP_PROD_IMAGE$
    HT_04_T72_4108V_T4_SP14_EC_1?$PDP_PROD_IMAGE$

http://www.marksandspencer.com/camouflage-lunch-box-with-thinsulate/p/p22301707
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    Frozen is what I do, re-using Indian and Chinese takeaway containers. Then 4-5 minutes at 800W in the microwave.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    For me it's first breakfast on the train, then second when I get to the office, kindly provided foc by work.

Then midday ish its first lunch normally something from M&S over the road, today one of those £3 pasta bowls and finally second lunch is normally something bought ie curry or recently leftovers from the previous night.

All of this plus my clothes keys wallet coffee flask etc I stuff into a musette to ride across London.

Its a tight fit and just asking for an epic fail.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I would of thought the box you have is ok, for sloppier foods why not put the food in a food bag first, seal it with one of those food clips and then put this inside the box?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Levi_501
    Several days in report: To be honest the two flasks are great. The 1.2lt food flask is used for hot food with the 1lt on fruit smoothie duties.

TBH, I do not know why I did not do this before! They are great, both keep their retrospective food hot/cold and are also easier to clean than the lunch boxes; no leaks or spills either. The only slight downside is that they are a bit heavier than the plastic lunch boxes.

Would I recommend them, hell yeah!