new moutain bike

jthef
jthef Posts: 226
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi
I'm after a new hardtail on the halfords bike scheme but not from halfords.

there are 2 I found which are avalible to me any coments or others worth a look at.

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/mountain/singletrack_trail/stache/stache_7/#

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/13820/cube-ltd-pro-29er-hardtail-mountain-bike-2014

thanks

Jon

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why not from Halfords?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Your best bet will almost certainly be a Boardman from Halfords. Have you looked at their range? They are excellent bikes and great value.

Also consider the Voodoo Bizango if you want a 29er.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Trek is over the £1000 limit most companies apply to C2W, and it has a fork you can find on a £500 Boardman (the other Boardmans have better forks), very poor value.

The Cube is better, but you probably won't get it at the sale price through C2W.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:
    Why not from Halfords?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The choice you have is paying a slight premium for a bigger brand bike or getting a voodoo etc which are better spec'ed. The Rockhopper etc. will be fine but compare spec's and do some test rides to see which you like the look and prefer the ride of as a spec sheet is not everything. If you are very tall like myself there is alot less choice so I tend to buy from the big brands for that reason.
  • Barrelmaker
    Barrelmaker Posts: 188
    I'm not sure if you could use On One or if they have any stock. But the parkwood they have just released is well specced for the money, revelations, full Deore kit and a reverb for a grand.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can't get On-One through Halfords.

You'll get a better bike in the Boardman or Voodoo ranges than any 'big brand' bike elsewhere, why do you think they are better?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    jthef wrote:

Awful for the money. Just rubbish. I don't know how specialized are getting away with selling this sort of stuff.

Go for the Boardman.