rules in racing

vin31
vin31 Posts: 23
edited June 2014 in Amateur race
I'm curious as to whether there are rules in racing regarding the over/undertaking of stationary traffic and the lead car ?
In our local 4th cat race on sunday the peleton came up behind the leader car and a row of stationary traffic on the run into one of the towns on the circuit, approx ten riders overtook the lead car and line of traffic while the rest stopped behind the cars. This subsequently enabled those who had passed the cars to open up nearly two minutes of a break and they were never caught. My question is are you allowed to pass the lead car and over/undertake the traffic in this instance or are there any guidelines or rules which would apply to this situation ?

Comments

• Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    if you overtake the 1st lead car then you are no longer under control of the comms - and that means you get a DQ, its under rule 20.12.6 though it does use the word "may" :lol:
  • themogulman
    themogulman Posts: 167
    edited June 2014
    The above.

The comm should of DQd them. Rider briefings I attend always tell riders to never pass the lead car. The lead car could of caught the riders and told them to stop. Pretty poor effort if this happened. Reasons why it may of happened is that the lead car can be anyone with BC license so they may not be aware of the rules or may have not communicated this to the comm car due to radios not working. However the comm should instruct the lead car to the basics. ie don't let anyone past you and if they do let me know.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Pass lead car = DQ
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Many years ago (about 25), I was in a race where the convoy was held up by traffic queuing to get into a car boot sale. All that got through was a single marshal on a moped and the breakaway group that I was part of. I managed to break away from the group, catch the moped on a hill, then draft it all the way to the finish taking then win. None of the comms saw this and the inexperienced marshal was too embarrassed to admit what had happened. The prize was only £30, and I’ve spent it now anyway
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Usually passing the lead car would lead to DQ. For a 4th only race I would use a bit of discretion and stop the race and explaining to everyone that if it ever happened again they would be disqualified.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    i assume the 1st lead car must have re overtaken the riders? would very dangerous if not - but I suspect the riders overtook the 2nd lead car.... leaving the lead up the road?

As for drafting a moped...you should have been banned for 5yrs...disgraceful behaviour :lol: ... almost as bad as a rider I know, intimately :) who when asked (in a break of 6 riders)how many more laps, lied and said ONE MORE...before sprinting off to take the win! (there was no bell)