n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • paulg567
    paulg567 Posts: 21
    yes it was only a frame I was after
    Bargain though?
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I have four road bikes including a Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (plus Spesh Allez, Trek 1200 and old Reynolds 520 steel framed Raleigh).

I love it but it is by far the harshest ride of them all no matter which combination of wheels/tyres I use including riding on 25c's.

If you want a smoother ride then yes, get another bike.
    FCN = 4
  • paulg567
    Thanks MTB

Do you find your steel bike comfy?
    I'm interested in a steel bike, heavy but generally comfy

Titanium would be perfect, but at a price!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I see Planet X have one black Kaff frame (no forks IIRC) but all of the others are the crap colour which will get you laughed at by black Kaff owners (like me). Prove you're not a slave to the jeering of others and get the crap colour IF YOU DARE!!!

I've moved from years riding alu road bikes to steel. Noticably more comfortable.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Comparing the Equilibrium to the Kaff is like wondering whether to buy an S-Class or a tractor. If it's comfort, even at blistering speeds, you're after: get the Equilibrium. If you fancy doing some ploughing, whilst playing a banjo with a bit of straw hanging from your mouth: the Kaff would be ideal.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    paulg567 wrote:
    Thanks MTB

NP, I haven't ridden the steely for many years, it just sits there in the garage. It's got downshifters and 6 gears so tends to get ignored. I should probably make it into a fixie but i haven't got enough time or inclination.

The Spesh Allez is the most comfy; alu but with carbon forks and seat stays. Some people claim Spesh feel 'disconnected' to the road but they clearly haven't ridden a Via Nirone!
    FCN = 4
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    paulg567 wrote:
    Thanks MTB

What size are you looking for? I just happen to have 54cm Ti frame that will be coming up for sale shortly.......

IMG_3153_zpsa5af4efa.jpg
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I see Planet X have one black Kaff frame (no forks IIRC) but all of the others are the crap colour which will get you laughed at by black Kaff owners (like me). Prove you're not a slave to the jeering of others and get the crap colour IF YOU DARE!!!

I've moved from years riding alu road bikes to steel. Noticably more comfortable.

And me.

I also have a set of wheels for the kaff...if you want them. and a set of bars and a seat post amd a stem.....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • paulg567
    MTB, my behind is a little too connected on the Bianchi. . .

Elephant, thats hilarious! Are all Kaff owners Worzels then?? :O

Lovely bike Asprilla, but sadly at 6ft 3 it may be a little on the small side?

Thanks Rubertoe, I was going to split the Bianchi and sell the frame and replace it so I have everything (Its like Triggers broom, everything on it has been replaced!)
  • UndercoverElephant
    UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
    edited June 2014
    paulg567 wrote:
    Elephant, thats hilarious! Are all Kaff owners Worzels then?? :O

I think it's fair to say that they're often no strangers to a flagon o' fightin' cider.
  • rubertoe
    I probably tend to think that both Eke and myself would disagree with that statement.

More stella for fighting.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    paulg567 wrote:
    Lovely bike Asprilla, but sadly at 6ft 3 it may be a little on the small side?

Very on the small side I'm afraid.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    After 6 months riding it (ok 4 as I was off for 2 months with chest infection) I'm selling the Charge steelie cx bike.

Yes it is comfortable (and very reliable) but compared to the bianchi it is heavy...literally after a couple rides back on the bianchi and then a ride back on the charge I made my mind up.

It's a nice bike but with the amount of start/stopping I do a lighter bike is better for me...56cm if interested ;)
  • paulg567
    So all Kaff frames come with a free bale of straw and a years membership to the Farmers union? :O

Thanks Cookeee, but I might need a bit trimmed off my legs to accept your offer
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Hmm, this thread reminds me I have a spare Boardman Pro Carbon frame in the loft. How easy to swap a SRAM Rival group from a same sized Boardman Team Carbon frame?

/hijack
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rubertoe
    Pretty Easy dhope.

Remove group. reverse and repeat on new frame.

• paulg567
    It only takes a couple of hours to build a bike, easy job dhope!
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    paulg567 wrote:
    So all Kaff frames come with a free bale of straw and a years membership to the Farmers union? :O

Thanks Cookeee, but I might need a bit trimmed off my legs to accept your offer

Hey is this not a good look?!?!?

bike+fit+2.jpg

That kaff frame looks a good deal, it'll be mega cool with all those non tractor bianchi parts ;)
  • paulg567
    Apart from a little toe overlap, looking good!

Yes it does, I wonder what size tractor tyres are optimum though?
    Would these fit?

http://thefuntimesguide.com/images/blog ... -truck.jpg
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I bought my missus one of the ebay kaffenbacks - important to note:

They really are just frames (sometimes not even forks) - so check. You therefore need EVERYTHING - ie not only groupset, saddle, wheels, stem, bars etc, but also the things you tend to forget about:

ie cable guide on bottom bracket, cable adjusters on downtube, seatpost clamp and headset.

If you remember that though, fun to build!
  • paulg567
    Just a thought, but has anyone ridden a Croix De Fer back to back with an Equilibrium and favoured either?
    I like to put panniers on bikes (shock horror!) and the Equilibrium doesn't have mount points
  • EKE_38BPM
    rubertoe wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

And me.

I also have a set of wheels for the kaff...if you want them. and a set of bars and a seat post amd a stem.....
    BTW, I meant owners of black Kaffs, not Kaff owners who are Black.
    Rubertoe, what wheels do you have?

• paulg567
    I guessed that EKE

I hit the button on the Kaff, its on its way :)
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I've been toying with the idea of getting a Kaffenback 2 to take over commuting duties, but not sure if its what I'm after TBH. My commute is an 80km round trip with about 900m of climbing. Doing it on my 8kg carbon road bike is pleasurable, but on my 11kg hybrid its a bit of a chore and takes me 10-15 minutes longer. Will a road bike weighing 11kg be more like riding an 8kg road bike or an 11kg hybrid?
  • EKE_38BPM
    paulg567 wrote:
    I guessed that EKE

I hit the button on the Kaff, its on its way :)
    Congratulations on the new bike (well, frame) and on writing EKE and not Eke. Its a little thing, but it bugs me (that is exactly what my wife says. Bdum tsh!)
    Daddy0 wrote:
    I've been toying with the idea of getting a Kaffenback 2 to take over commuting duties, but not sure if its what I'm after TBH. My commute is an 80km round trip with about 900m of climbing. Doing it on my 8kg carbon road bike is pleasurable, but on my 11kg hybrid its a bit of a chore and takes me 10-15 minutes longer. Will a road bike weighing 11kg be more like riding an 8kg road bike or an 11kg hybrid?
    Well, hybrids are the work of one of the Devil's minor minions, so it won't be as bad as that, but it won't be as fast as a carbon road bike. I would guess much closer to the road bike than the hybrid. Throw on some lighter wheels would be my suggestion to liven up the ride.

• paulg567
    Thanks for all of your advice everyone, the new Kaffenback frame now built up and ready for the commute.

Im stunned at how well it rides to be honest!
    Its built on a mountain bike drive chain, with road front mech, Drop bars and STI shifters.

All works a dream and unbelievably comfy to ride!

Now, just off to plough a couple of fields with it . . .. . ;)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    this thread is useless without pics

thisthreadisuselesswithoutpics-1.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • 250px-Oliver60RowCrop1944.jpg

Here you go. ;)
  • paulg567
    Almost, pic below hopefully. The plough is just out of shot

6g94wy.jpg