New saddle v better shorts

markiegrim
markiegrim Posts: 136
edited June 2014 in Road beginners
For the last 6 months been fine on the saddle that came with my trek 1.5. But suddenly started getting sore

Was wondering if this could be due to the pad in my shorts starting to lose its shape (although feels/looks unchanged). The shorts were "budget" altura ones

Or should I just get a new saddle? Any recommendations? Could I get something decent for <50 quid?

Thanks

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Get some decent shorts. If the saddle was a major problem you would know about it by now.
    Cheepo Altura are just a bit of rubbish foam. Get some Endura FS260 Pro's or ones with a pad at least as good.

Have you upped your mileage/time in saddle?
    You need better shorts to extend time in saddle. The saddle needs to be a good fit, then the pad extends the time you can sit on it.

Get bib shorts too, not shorts.
    Don't be tempted to cut corners again. Get decent ones and scrimp on any of the other clothing that you like.......... just not the bib shorts!
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    When you see shorts and bibs that are expensive its nearly always the quality of the pad that pushes up the price. The lycra and rest of the material is pretty standard even on the most expensive ones. The better the pad the more you pay but you can get a very good set of bibs for less than 50 pounds. A lot cheaper than a saddle
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    Go commando-consider a chamois cream on long rides
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    dnwhite88 wrote:

:shock:

3337508.jpg
  • markiegrim
    dnwhite88 wrote:

Please...not that debate again
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Carbonator wrote:
    Get some decent shorts...Get some Endura FS260 Pro's or ones with a pad at least as good.

+1 for the FS260 Pro, I just got a pair and did 163 miles in them on Sunday - they're great.

Good shorts will still provide a benefit if you find you need to change your saddle too.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • gloomyandy
    gloomyandy Posts: 520
    If you have only just started getting sore, the obvious question is what has changed?
    * Are your shorts worn out?
    * Have you lost weight/gained weight (if so maybe your saddle is no longer a good fit)?
    * Are you riding longer routes?
    * Are you riding less hard (if you push less you tend to have more weight on your saddle)?
    * If you don't go commando have you changed what you are wearing under your shorts?
    * Have you started using a different washing powder?
    * Have you changed your bike fit?
    * Have you changed anything else (like say new cycling shoes/cleats that may have in effect change saddle height)?
    * Are you sweating a lot more because of the weather? If so and you are not going commando maybe whatever you are wearing is now causing a problem? If you do go commando maybe in hot weather some sort of cream may help?

Lots of possible reasons, try and work out what it is that has caused the problem?
  • markiegrim
    Well none of the above has changed, hence my wondering if it might be deterioration of a pad in budget shorts, although nothing is obvious

I'll get some decent shorts per the advice above
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you have wider sit bones like me the saddle on the Trek 1.5 is painful after an hours riding at a decent speed. It is quite a narrow saddle and can cause soft tissue pain that cycling shorts won't fix. I didn't notice this until I did faster longer rides.

I ended up measuring myself for a saddle and choosing a specialized avatar in the wider size, which has a cut away. I now ride for hours with no pain.
  • IanRCarter
    IanRCarter Posts: 217
    It doesn't explain why it's suddenly started getting sore for you but your position on the bike can make a huge difference to how comfortable a saddle is. I'd found the saddle which came on my bike to be horribly uncomfortable on any rides longer than an hour and would find it painful sitting down. I had a bike fit and the many small changes made to my position have made a huge difference to how I see my saddle and I now no longer look at expensive fizik saddles because I can go for hours with it remaining fairly comfortable (no 'racing' saddle is going to have the comfort of a brooks etc.) and I feel fine sitting down off the bike afterwards.

I have a pair of cheap Altura shorts, I haven't worn them much since getting a pair of bibs but the pad in them does seem a decent quality, so I'd be surprised if it's that. If you decide to get a new pair of shorts, look at the DHB range, particularly the Aeron Pro or Race (they've also brought out a new line too, think it's called ASV or something like that), they use very good pads manufacturer by Cyteck who I believe also supply Assos.
  • markiegrim
    Thanks all so far - good advice...I'll have to give it some thought and see what the LBS say also
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    May be both. Get your ar53 measured as you may need a better saddle. Ask LBS for advice. Shorts are worth investment. I've got the model down from the Enduras and they are decent, plus they last well.

It's just a hill. Get over it.