Strava question

Cyclum
Cyclum Posts: 104
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
I've seen that upgrading to premium allows you to see other members in your area that are out.

How accurate is this? Do you get a real time update?

Do both members need to have a premium account or can a premium account holder see all other Strava members?

Sorry for the strange questions. I'm thinking of using it as a security measure so I can let my OH know where I am without having to meticulously plan my routes in advance.

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    You could only see someone in real time if they are using a device that allows real time feedback like a smartphone app. If they were just using a Garmin 500 or 800 its passive so there is no way of seeing it.

Strava Premium offers more detailed analysis or your ride, power output etc but you really need a proper power meter to take full advantage of it.
  • chrisgal
    chrisgal Posts: 130
    I'm not sure of the ins and out but I suppose it would firstly depend if you're GPS had live tracking capabilities i.e. a phone or the newer Gamins for example. If not then you wouldn't be able to see the other Strava members 'live' no matter what service they used with Strava.
  • smoggysteve
    If you ride with a smartphone like an iPhone or a Samsung Galaxy, the facility to see where you are in real time is already available with a downloadable app . If you turn on your location services you can make your position visible to another phone or computer set up to see you. Old tech
  • Cyclum
    Really? Do you happen to know the app name? I did look a while ago but I couldn't find one.
  • smoggysteve
    Android or iPhone?
  • Cyclum
    Fab. Thanks.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    You have the wrong idea of what Strava Premium is. You can see any athletes rides with standard Strava and in greater detail if you're following them. Premium gives you enhanced features for your heart rate etc providing you have a device to record it.

Following riders in real time tracking is, as already pointed out, dependent on either an application on a smart phone, a GPS device or a Garmin device such as the 510, 810 or 1000. Even then, Live tracking on the Garmin devices will not work if you have an Apple phone with the latest firmware downloaded. Until Garmin and Apple decide to speak to each other, Livetrack is redundant for many owners.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    If that's what you're looking for - have a look for the Glympse app on your smartphone. Its great - you can send a 'glympse' to anyone if you know their mobile number and you set the time the 'glmypse' lasts for and during that time they can see exactly where you are. So say you're going out for a 2hour ride - send the OH a 3-hour glympse and if you're not back after 2hours, she can see where you are and that you're still moving. Also handy if you're planning to meet up with people and you're driving - you send the glympse before you set off, and if you're running late, you don't have to worry about calling them to let them know because they can see exactly where you are and how long you're going to be.

I use it when I'm driving up to see my sister in Leeds - usually results in a brew having just been made for me when I knock on the door!!
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • Cyclum
    That sounds perfect. It means that if I'm having a good cycle I can take a detour without my OH panicking that something has happened.

So am I right in thinking that there's little advantage to upgrading to the Premium account unless you have all the kit to allow you to measure things other than GPS?
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    As far as I call tell from testing it, it only shows that you're out and how long you've been out for, it doesn't report your position, unless I've been missing something - using an iPhone 4S with premium sub.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There used to be a Rapha app for iphones that you could invite your riding buddies to and it would show your locations. In practice the locations werent accurate - so it was worse than useless.

My OH is used to me being out all day Sunday so she'd never worry unless I was still out at 5 or something.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Cyclum wrote:
    That sounds perfect. It means that if I'm having a good cycle I can take a detour without my OH panicking that something has happened.

We use FindmyiPhone to track each other - it's not perfect as the position is only polled when requested rather than fed back when the target has a signal ... but it mostly works ...
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Cyclum wrote:

It is really good. The person on the other end doesn't need to have the 'App' either (although the information they get is displayed easier if they do). I'm cycling to my cousin's this weekend which I've never done before so don't really know how long it'll take me - will send her a Glympse before I set off and she'll be able to see when I'm going to arrive. One of the best Apps I've found. :)
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • Cyclum
    I've downloaded it and had a little play. It looks like a great app. Especially for someone like me who frequently forgets to stop and call people when I'm held up etc.

Thanks for the tip.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @cyclum... Lots of advantages in being a premium strava member, not least of which in my opinion is to make a small contribution to an energetic and evolving application
  • StillGoing
    philthy3 wrote:
    You have the wrong idea of what Strava Premium is. You can see any athletes rides with standard Strava and in greater detail if you're following them. Premium gives you enhanced features for your heart rate etc providing you have a device to record it.

Following riders in real time tracking is, as already pointed out, dependent on either an application on a smart phone, a GPS device or a Garmin device such as the 510, 810 or 1000. Even then, Live tracking on the Garmin devices will not work if you have an Apple phone with the latest firmware downloaded. Until Garmin and Apple decide to speak to each other, Livetrack is redundant for many owners.

Update on this; uninstalling and re-installing the Garmin Connect app on the phone restores the Livetrack function.
  • markhewitt1978
    Mikey23 wrote:
    @cyclum... Lots of advantages in being a premium strava member, not least of which in my opinion is to make a small contribution to an energetic and evolving application

Strava is lots of things but energetic and evolving isn't one of them. Loads of stuff needs fixing or making better but it doesn't seem like they are bothered, they just keep tweaking the menu options.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    In your opinion...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Cyclum wrote:
    So am I right in thinking that there's little advantage to upgrading to the Premium account unless you have all the kit to allow you to measure things other than GPS?

It's got some stuff you'd never miss unless you'd had it before and which you can often find elsewhere anyway so no, no meaningful advantage to upgrading.

I'm not wildly keen on Strava so not bothered about not supporting them financially.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Cyclum
    Ok. Another question...

I've upgraded to a Premium account. Is there any way that you can stop the phone locking (and therefore hiding the data) while Strava is in use?

Cheers.
  • StillGoing
    Presumably you're using your phone as the monitoring device? The simple answer is don't and get yourself a dedicated device. 1) Your phone is probably expensive and will not withstand an off or falling from the bike whereas a dedicated device will. 2) Your phone won't like being out in the rain and getting drenched. 3) A dedicated device does so much more than a phone does. 4) You're wasting your phones battery life when you just may need it on one of those rides. 5) Premium gives additional readings to the user from your device such as suffer score based on your heart rate and power analysis, a phone won't give you that.

I don't bother with Strava until I get back and upload the ride.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Mikey23 wrote:
    The only feature not available to me as a non premium member that would be vaguely interesting is the power related stuff. As that will only be anywhere near useful if you have a power meter, which I have no plans to get, there is no point in going premium. I have tried the premium free trial.

They got rid of the useful compare feature during the last layout update which everyone had access to.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 367
    I've upgraded to a Premium account. Is there any way that you can stop the phone locking (and therefore hiding the data) while Strava is in use?

If iPhone:

This isn't a Strava app problem - it's a generic iPhone setting that it locks after a minute of non-use. To change, from iPhone home-screen:

Settings
    General
    Auto-lock
    Change to "Never"

I use Cyclemeter so changed this setting. Cyclemeter happily displays on my phone for four hours while riding. :)

Only downside is that your phone will never lock by itself again (obviously). If you use it (generally), you then have to press the power button to lock it. Or the screen will stay on indefinitely and burn the battery (plus let people frape you).

Been using my phone instead of a dedicated unit for 18 months and perfectly happy with my setup. Cyclemeter is great (and the ghost riders liven up my commute). I carry a battery extender that I could put the phone in if I needed it in an emergency. I have a good waterproof case/mount for it. All is well. I am limited to four hours of running the app (using both GPS and bluetooth for my HRM) but that's a good excuse to only ride for four hours. :D

I have Strava Premium but it's not worth it. The heat-map is very pretty though.
  • markhewitt1978
    pinkteapot wrote:
    I have Strava Premium but it's not worth it. The heat-map is very pretty though.

http://www.jonathanokeeffe.com/strava/map.php