Carbon v alluminium

philsalliss
philsalliss Posts: 175
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi im sure this has been done to death so sorry. Im looking at getting a new road bike upto 1500 on cycle scheme (please dont discuss whether scheme good or not) and am at present and probably will go with ribble but am unshre whether to go for carbon gran fonda or 7046 sportive. I was looking at possibly camp athena or ultegra and there was i think about 200 extra cost on the gran fonda.

Im unsure whether to go for carbon or ribbles top alu frame and save the cash.

Comments

• philsalliss
    Anyone. All advice gladly appreciated.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

You probably need to be a bit more patient than 1 hour 23 mins before bumping your thread! :lol:

Personally, I'd pay the extra. Depends on how much £200 means to you but if you are buying on the cycle scheme it shouldn't be that noticeable.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    You need to try both to have an opinion otherwise you are buying someone else's preference and whats the point in that. You will be the one riding it. Would you buy a car before a test drive probably not so why buy a bike that way.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • philsalliss
    I hear you, i suppose its also a question of whther carbon frame vs all frame at roughly same price, which would produce the better bike for the budget. But i take your point. Do ribble have demo bikes!? Planning on a visit as dont live fsr away to work out right frame size
  • philsalliss
    Rolf F wrote:

You probably need to be a bit more patient than 1 hour 23 mins before bumping your thread! :lol:

Personally, I'd pay the extra. Depends on how much £200 means to you but if you are buying on the cycle scheme it shouldn't be that noticeable.
    Ha i am mega impatient. I can stretch to the extra 200 but with 1k on cycle would prefer not to if the alu spec one is just as good
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    If it's a simple either/or, the carbon is probably the better bet, if all else is equal, fit and geometry both suit equally etc. Aluminium with the extra 200 quids put into a wheel upgrade might be worth a look.

I'd also consider the budget for changing the contact points, wheels etc. These are rarely exactly what you like off the shelf.
  • philsalliss
    Thanks. The rest of spec would be essentially the same so gran fonda maybe the one. But sizing is def an issue as i find im a funny size. Got a 56 cube paelton which was advised was right size but have found it too big i think as cant get comfy on it despite good quality bike fit.

Was initially going to get a cyclocross bike for winter usage and commuting and keep cube for rest but am finding that even after fit i cant ride more than an hour before its too uncomfortable so thinking of keeping cube as winter and commuter and get a new one that fits right
  • cycleclinic
    Aluminium bikes can be greta or poor and so can carbon framed bikes. It all depends on the deisgn (geometry) and kit supplied.

From your fit you chould have a ideal frame geometry. Look at that and buy a frame that is as close to ideal as possible regadless of the frame material. The rest is simply details That I how I choose all my bikes. I start by choosing the frame not an overal spec, otherwise you are treating a bike a consumable good like a washing machine. It is a lot more than that!
  • philsalliss
    Thanks. Im going to have a look at ribble warehouse next week to have a look at frames and see which fits best. Im half tempted with di2 due to being a gadget geek. Wouldnt normally as couldn't really justify cost but ive got some possible compensation money due which could be around a £1000 so since its money i never had may treat myself and blow it on di2. Fingers crossed its 1k
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Yes, of course make sure the frame has appropriate geometry for you, and your style of riding.

Either Aluminum or carbon will give a good riding bike. But a lot depends on whether having a 'carbon bike' is important to you. Consider that if you buy aluminum, will you have lingering doubts / remorse about not going for carbon?

With an aluminum frame, you might be able to get better components (especially wheels) than for the same price of a carbon frame bike.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • philsalliss
    Thanks jay. I dont think im that bothered in it having to be carbon as such i just want the best bike i can for the price.
  • cycleclinic
    I have steel bikes and alu bikes I have no lingering doubts about not having carbon. I have tried plastic and it is fine but in reality a good steel frame is just as much fun and so is the right aluminum frame.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    One thing to bear in mind in the debate is that carbon can be repaired quite cheaply (to some extent) whereas aluminium can't.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • dombhoy
    dombhoy Posts: 147
    I'd go for Carbon if you have the money.... Better comfort and I think the gran fondo looks much better
  • kfm2773
    kfm2773 Posts: 19
    I thought the limit for C2W was £1000.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Sometimes Alu is better than carbon - e.g. i'd prefer a CAAD10 alu frame than many of the similarly priced carbon ones.

But, you've already narrowed it down to these two so you should try them both. The size, fit and geometry is different and that will make as much difference to your comfort, speed etc than the material will make.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Have a look here. The alu frames are excellent, in particular.

http://www.canyon.com/_en/
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    kfm2773 wrote:
    I thought the limit for C2W was £1000.

Don't ask questions like that. Certain retailers have been known to be flexible.

And if your employer is inclined to become a credit broker they can set the limit higher. £2,500 in my case :mrgreen:
  • Falco Bike offer an amazing wheelset. They are tubs and run smoother than any other wheels I have used, including cosmics, zipps, visions etc.

www.falcobike.com/index.php/falcobike/v ... ocella_wrt

Great value and class wheels. Definitely worth the buy.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    CyclingMan wrote:
    Falco Bike offer an amazing wheelset. They are tubs and run smoother than any other wheels I have used, including cosmics, zipps, visions etc.

Is this a dazed and confused new member or blatant advertising?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Navrig2 wrote:
    CyclingMan wrote:
    Falco Bike offer an amazing wheelset. They are tubs and run smoother than any other wheels I have used, including cosmics, zipps, visions etc.

Is this a dazed and confused new member or blatant advertising?

The latter unfortunately. Something Chinese I suspect.
  • philsalliss
    Thanks for all advice. Just waiting for clarification on whether the compensation money to come and the amount then will decide which way im going to go plus visit to ribble for sizing in frame.