Should I upgrade my wet weather ride.

timothyw
timothyw Posts: 2,482
edited June 2014 in Commuting chat
I'm expecting the horde of enablers to appear any moment, but what the hell, I'm going to ask the question.

I've got a Fuji Sportif 1.1 2014 - a road bike with disc brakes. I've been happy with it, but... the frame is weighty, and not very aero at all - it has an excessively tall head tube so even with a slammed stem it's rather upright - a situation exacerbated by my proportionately short legs. I got the bike through cycle to work, and in hindsight I should have gone down a size, but then hindsight is a wonderful thing that way!

Planet X have the Dirty Disco carbon fibre Cyclocross-disc frameset on ebay at the moment for £400 - 50% off the usual list.

It'd actually be a nice opportunity to get my hands dirty with the transplant, as my home mechanic skills are distinctly limited.

So, should I take the plunge? I do already have a perfectly decent summer ride, a Trek 5000 OCLV....

They do also have the Kaffenback 2 frameset on for £150, which would fix the aerodynamics, but not do much for the weight! Also doesn't really fit the colourscheme, seat tube is a different size etc.

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Wet weather ride = 'guards

Does the carbon frame have provision for 'guards?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • timothyw
    Well, not the kind that require brackets and that. Clip on ones would be fine.

But I should add I rode all through last winter with no guards and it never bothered me. It might have bothered the people behind me on the club run I guess, but I was hardly alone in that regard.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Your welcome to try my Kaff if you like.

But Spasy has answered the question.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • timothyw
    What size is your Kaff? I'm guessing not XL?
  • rubertoe
    Large (56)
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• timothyw
    Perhaps I'll pop up one day after work to have a quick look, that ought be rideable.
  • rubertoe
    PM Me,

I Can aslways get to muswell hill on the way home from work