Getting fit - and fast.

Cyclum
Cyclum Posts: 104
edited June 2014 in Road beginners
I'm relatively fit but I need to get fitter, and fast. Ideally I want my fitness noticably improved in around 4 weeks.

I've already started ramping up the cycles, and miles. I'm trying to do different routes too i.e. Not just the fast ones.

Interval training looks like a good option but I'm not sure How viable it is when I'm also negotiating the traffic lights around town etc.

Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks.

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    What are your objectives?
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    The June 19th issue of the Comic (Cycling Weekly to the uninitiated) has the very thing you are looking for

"Panic Training - how to get fit in 4 weeks) a four page article with training suggestions. If it is no longer in the newsagents you can get it via here http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/digital-editions
    Regards
    Alan
  • Cyclum
    Thanks. I have a 75 mile charity cycle. Mostly I want to improve my endurance. I'm by no means 'spent' after 20 miles (averaging around 14mph according to Strava) but I'm very aware that there's a huge difference between that and 75 miles.

I'd also like to do it in a respectable time. I'm under no illusion that I'll be up the front but I don't want to be the one trailing behind or holding people up.

Thanks.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Limited time, to get ready but a good time of year to start. I would say start this weekend by banging in a 50 mile ride, doesn't matter if you have to stop to rest on the way around, just make sure you take food and water with you. Then keep doing 50 mile rides until they get easier.

14mph average isn't slow by any means, but nor will it put you at, or anywhere near the front. I know I average about 14mph on hilly terrain myself.
  • Cyclum
    Thanks. I should be able to do that once a week.

I'm not competitive in the slightest so I'm not too worried about not being up front, as long as I'm not struggling at the back then I'll be happy.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    If you're not certain about managing the 75 miles then I think you should probably focus on the distance rather than worry too much about speed. Get out for at least one long ride a week and slot in a few more rides throughout the rest of the week. Keep the pace easy for the long ride(s) but you can raise the intensity for some of the shorter rides and use some of them for interval training if you wish.
  • mattbabs
    mattbabs Posts: 86
    I would agree that you shouldn't worry about speed. Most charity rides attract all sorts of riders so there will probably be people taking it easy on hybrids/mountain bikes. A couple of years ago I did my first 70 mile ride on a hybrid thinking I would be near the back. I was surprised when I found people on decent road bikes walking up the steepest hills and I was riding past. Make the most of any breaks so you aren't running out of steam in the last 20 miles or so. If you are riding solo try to tag onto a friendly group so you can save some energy but don't push yourself to hard to keep up.
  • Cyclum
    Thanks for the tips. I'm relatively fit but I generally tend to just go for it for 10-15 miles and worry about recovering when I get to my destination. It's ok for a short distance but I need to find a slower pace that I can sustain for longer.

Any more tips gratefully received. ☺
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    A few suggestions
    Dont train alone, get out with someone that is better than you and that will push you a bit.
    Get in 1 longer (50-60) and 1 medium (35 ish) a week as well as shorter higher intensity rides.
    Take at full day off per week, go for a swim or walk instead.
    Write down a set of objectives and create a training plan. Tell your family and friends what you are planning and stick to it.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    Break it up :-) Rather than thinking of a 75 mile ride aim for goals like taking a break/refuel every 15/20 miles. I did coast to coast in a day last year with little training, I'm generally quite fit but we split the ride up into 30 mile segments, stopping each time for something eat. This made it easier and cycling as a group helped massively. Plus you have the atmosphere of the event to get you round. This makes a surprising amount of difference. Like the other guy said try for 50 this weekend/each weekend after and get out a couple of nights a week if you can and blast it on a short distance. You will be fine :D
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    For the 75 mile ride, be certain to not go too hard at the beginning. And be certain that you are well rested for the ride - training the day before is of no value, and will likely just make you more tired.

If possible, learn how to ride 'close together' in a group, and how to draft behind the rider in front of you. Keeping your front wheel about 2 feet behind the leader's rear wheel will give you a decent draft, and will also give you some 'safety margin'. Beware that just 'touching' the leader's rear wheel will immediately cause you to crash!

The ride will likely break up into several groups, find a group that is going at a comfortable pace. If you get in a group that you have to struggle to maintain, bail-out before you get too tired.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    My tip would be don't overdo it. Nothing worse than a sore thigh or tight hamstring which could mean days off so listen to your body and when it wants a break don't be afraid to have one. Factor in rest days (complete rest that is, with plenty of good food). Your schedule is very tight because you should think about easing off on the last week so draw up a plan, try and stick to it but if you don't fancy it one day then take a break.

As above, the best advice for the day is do not get drawn into someone else's pace, eat/drink welll and target finishing...and enjoy it!
  • BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    A few things to remember. As you will be spending around 5 hours on the bike you will probably need to stop for food. Use your training to find food and drink that works for you and take plenty. Do not experiment on the day.

Forget about average speed. You will be slower than some, quicker than others, that is the nature of such events. Whatever speed you do go at make sure you are comfortable. Go out too fast and the last 30 miles can really hurt.

Enjoy it. Enjoy the day, the ride, the atmosphere, the countryside and hopefully the weather.
  • Cyclum
    Thanks all. That's really helpful, and quite a few things that I hadn't really considered.