Not new to cycling, but need a road bike

scott7
scott7 Posts: 2
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi! I'm 21, I'm not new to cycling at all. I've been cycling since I was about 7? I had a little BMX back then. Never used it for "stunts", just cycling... I remember doing a 15 mile round trip on it with my Dad... And after that, I got a mountain bike. Since then, I've had 2 more mountain bikes, currently a Felt Q520.

Thing is, I don't really go off road. Plus having a mountain bike really slows me down. I always have quite a lot of energy in me when I'm cycling, but going up hills etc, it just feels like the bike is weighing me down. Worst of all, I've got really slow embarrassing times on Strava when I know I can do better!!

My cousin has a hybrid... It's apparently like half road/half mountain? I'd like one like that. I don't wanna full on road bike because there will be times when I'm not on Tarmac. Plus, I just can't use the handles on a road bike!

My cousin has this one. What do you think about it? Should I get it too? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165534

What other hybrid bikes are out there? I can happily ride a bike, but I'm a bit useless when it comes to purchasing. The max I'm willing to spend is £1000. I could go a bit more, but I always worry it'll get stolen.

Cheers!

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I have a cube ltd cls hybrid. That cost me around 400 a few years ago. On the road its pretty fast with the suspension locked out. Only has the thinner cx tyres instead of full on mtb tyres but will handle light terrain well.

If would recommend a cross bike with front suspension over a hybrid with a solid fork if you intend going off road. Weight is not your main issue on a hybrid so shouldnt matter much.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    If you don't want a bike which is going to slow you down on hills and you don't really go off road then you're going to want a road bike. Buying a hybrid will result in you buying a road bike eventually anyway. Not sure what you mean by 'can't use the handles', presumably at some point you couldn't ride a bike at all? Did you give up before you even started then?

That Boardman you linked is a nice bike, but look what you can get for the same price http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPRIV ... -road-bike no comparison!
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I'd agree with Mark. If you want to ride mostly on roads and you want to go faster, then you should go for either a cyclocross bike or a road bike. Both use drop bars which for most on-road purposes are much preferable to straight bars. Plenty people who've never really used drop bars think straight bars are easier and more comfortable, I don't know anyone who's spent time with both who agrees. Drop bars are much more comfortable for long rides dure to offering multiple positions and they offer suitable positions for sprinting, climbing, easy cruising, fast efforts, etc...

If you're keeping the mountain bike then get a road bike and you can pick the appropriate bike for the ride. If you want a do it all bike then get a cyclocross bike (CX). These are pretty similar to road bikes except they have clearance for bigger tyres and will have no trouble with some gravel or mud tracks. With slick tyres fitted they're nearly as light and fast as road bikes.
  • smoggysteve
    2 above obviously didnt get the bit about not getting on with drop handlebars I see!
  • markhewitt1978
    2 above obviously didnt get the bit about not getting on with drop handlebars I see!

No we didn't. "Can't use the handles" doesn't really say much about anything. I thought drops were weird at first but I now I think straight bars are wrong!
  • ai_1
    If I didn't get it i wouldn't have discussed that subject in my post. You didn't tell us your previous experience but simply stated "I just can't use the handles on a road bike". If you hadn't said "just" I'd have thought you had some physical impairment or other stopping you from using them but if it's simply that they feel odd or you don't like the idea then I'd urge you to re-consider. They are far superior for long and/or fast cycling for many reasons which is why they're universally used for that purpose. Your dismissal of drop bars is a rejection of all the bikes that best fit your other criteria so it would be foolish of any contributors not to question it.
  • markhewitt1978
    Note he's not the OP.
  • smoggysteve
    Nope. Im not. And im sure the OP is capable of deciding if he want a certain tyoe of bike without being patronised by people who think they know what they should be doing.

Someone asks to choose between a or b dont offer c if they tell you they dont want it first no matter how much you think otherwise
  • ai_1
    Note he's not the OP.
    Thanks. My mistake
  • ai_1
    Nope. Im not. And im sure the OP is capable of deciding if he want a certain type of bike without being patronised by people who think they know what they should be doing.

Someone asks to choose between a or b dont offer c if they tell you they dont want it first no matter how much you think otherwise
    He can decide for himself if he thinks he's being patronised. He doesn't need you to tell him that ;) However, that's certainly not my intention. Incidentally he didn't ask to choose between a or b. He asked about a and what options b, c, d, etc there might be.
    I don't know what will suit him nor am I telling him what he should buy. I'm telling him some criteria and options I think he should consider with some reasons why. If those reasons don't convince him that's fine.

Now I'm going to stop wasting my time defending what was a completely legitimate and well intentioned post....