Map Reading

2»

Comments

• DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    As noted above a lot of map reading & navigation will come naturally to some people; how use obvious features to gauge position and then mentally plan routes to “de-risk” them. However I’d be cautious about assuming that everyone (indeed most people) can smoothly work their way through the thought process “A’s there, B’s there, so I’m here and my destination is over there.”

As to OS inaccuracies, the primary trig points are very accurate. I’m told there were only one measurement was made, the first “base line” near Swindon and all the other measurements were gained from triangulations. The potential for compounded error is obvious enough, yet a test (by tape/trundle wheel) in the far N. of Scotland was no more than 40cm out! But pre-satellite a lot of the stuff in between was a bit of a mess, obviously that thoroughness couldn’t be maintained for the small stuff; property boundaries, hedges, building etc can be tens of meters out.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Then take paths for example, in the Lakes they are not all fixed. I remember after the foot and mouth a lot of paths had disappeared. New ones got made over a few weeks. It was interesting to note how they had changed positions. I'm a real Lakes nerd who knows some areas almost philosophically in my mind. That meant I could remember where the old paths had been. OS maps are wrong a lot in the Lakes even before F&M. Black lines away from the green rights of way but the path is in between them for example.

The accuracy of the OS baselines are incredibly accurate. It stems from the guy who first did them. He was obsessive about accuracy and his measurements couldn't be matched or bettered until modern higher accuracy GPS systems.

On top of that the OS have a plane bristling with technology. These include high definition photographic equipment which they use to film the ground as they fly overhead. They can then use these films to check against existing mapping data with changes being detected and changes made. Of course they don't update maps at once so their main map is accurate but shop sold ones are not. OS maps are among the best maps around that are freely available. Not bad for an organization set up to provide our nation a military advantage.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    I'm another sad case who loves maps, I can spend hours pouring over them. I used to do a bit of topographical survey work in my job and applied for a job with the OS. Even now I like creating 3D models from survey data and playing around with them :oops:

I can do basic map and compass stuff but would love to learn advanced navigation skills.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    I sometimes think you can learn all the fancy techniques there are but it still comes down to whether you get it. I mean not everyone can read a map when needed. I know a lot of advanced techniques but tbh I never use more than a handful of techniques, the basics. I could teach enough to get by in a couple of hours in the Lakes that would get you home in most conditions. The conditions it wouldn't help with I doubt a novice would be there. Talking about walking in the hills not cycling. Got the basics then just sit down and study the map & terrain. Take your time to think it through if you're.lost. Above all don't panic. I've been lost before now in winter with darkness falling fast. Rising panic sets in. I always sit down, get a flask of hot drink and eat a snack. Then out comes the map and it all the clicks again.