Look 585 Optimum updated

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited June 2014 in Your road bikes
It's over 4 years since I posted my Look 585 on here and for most of that time absolutely nothing has been changed on it. http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12701076&p=16158791&hilit=look+%26+585+%26+optimum#p16158791I put some 23mm Ultremos on to replace the 25mm Duranos, fitted a Dog Fang (much modifying required) and, errrr, that was it. To be fair, I keep it for special occasions as the very similar geometry Ribble Gran Fondo I have is awesome day to day and it never feels like a poor second as such - so nothing has worn much on the Look. Every time I ride it, it feels like I'm riding it for the first time!

Anyway, I vaguely hankered after cutting some weight on it to try to get it sub UCI limit. As delivered it came in at 7.4kg inc cages, minus pedals so some way to go.

In the last year I have been working on this (and I'll probably get round to posting the costs and associated weight savings as it is pretty funny in terms of silly spend for little gain - but, in fairness, every bit helps and the removed parts, along with a Westbrook CR1 SL frame add up to a complete spare bike of parts so how can that be wrong?) and have made the following changes.

Arione Ki replaced by carbon railed Arione
Centaur carbon crankset replaced by Record 11 crankset (still running 10 sp though)
Centaur brakes replaced by Super Record brakes
Pro PLT, LT bars and stem replaced by Deda Superleggero, Superleggera carbon bars and stem.
Keo Max2 pedals replaced by Keo Blade Carbon.
Durano 25mm tyres, Vittoria Ultralight tubes replaced by Veloflex Master 23, Challenge Latex tubes.

All Record or SR aside from the levers - I could get the current production Record 10 speed levers but I like the shape of the current design so I suspect the shifters will stay Centaur. Oh, and the cassette is still Centaur but I think I might get an 11 or 12 - 25 Record cassette. It will take me a lifetime to wear it out and there's some more pointless weight to be lost there!

Still to be done are the wheels - Campagnolo Neutron to be replaced by my home build Kinlin XR200 and Novatec lightweight hubs, Sapim Laser spokes, alloy nipples - the bike wheel equivalent of a Mogwai........

I think it is probably still a bit over the UCI limit but should be well under with the new wheels. I need to get some scales. My estimates are based on the weight differences between the components - so that should be an underestimate of the saving given how manufacturers tend to understate the weight of their products. But we'll see.
P1010146ed_zpsc36f5a05.jpg

P1010173ed_zps63666d06.jpg

P1010182ed_zps64cece49.jpg

P1010191ed_zpscbb1ed75.jpg
How to do cables I think!

P1010148ed_zps35aa72cf.jpg

Deda Superleggera bars - light but scary to fit! Comfortable with the very nice Evans cork tape (usual 2.5mm stuff but the full thickness bit is wider than most tapes so it feels chunkier!)
P1010270_zps9e29192f.jpg
Wheels to be........
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• timnoyce
    timnoyce Posts: 42
    Cool. Which rims are you using for your build?

I just built my first set of wheels, Rigida Flyer rims on Shimano 105 hubs in a classic 32 hole double butted spoke arrangement. They might not have the bling factor of an 'aero' wheelset but I love them.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Yay! Looks great!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Nice bike but your cables look wrong, the cable from your right hand shifter should go down the right hand side of your downtube, and the left to the left, yours look to be the other way around.
  • rolf_f
    timnoyce wrote:
    Cool. Which rims are you using for your build? I just built my first set of wheels, Rigida Flyer rims on Shimano 105 hubs in a classic 32 hole double butted spoke arrangement. They might not have the bling factor of an 'aero' wheelset but I love them.

Kinlin XR200 - the whole lot should weigh in at 1360g or so and all for £200! I've done a set of 36 hole touring wheels so I'm hoping I can avoid making a mess of this! Satisfying isn't it?!
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Yay! Looks great!

I knew you'd like it! 8)
    xdoc wrote:
    Nice bike but your cables look wrong, the cable from your right hand shifter should go down the right hand side of your downtube, and the left to the left, yours look to be the other way around.

My right hand shifter cable is indeed going down the left hand side of the down tube and vice versa but there is nothing wrong about it - and plenty right. It's just about everyone else's cables that look wrong. :wink:
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Splendid.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Really smart looking bike, Rolf. Good effort.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Brommers76
    Brommers76 Posts: 234
    Great bike. Definitely a keeper.

I haven't seen another Look when out riding and I love mine because of the way it rides, looks and handles. I know why you keep it for special occasions - just makes riding it even more special.
  • rolf_f
    Brommers76 wrote:
    Great bike. Definitely a keeper.

I haven't seen another Look when out riding and I love mine because of the way it rides, looks and handles. I know why you keep it for special occasions - just makes riding it even more special.

I did meet a forum member, Leedsmjh, by fluke as I found myself on the same stretch of road as another Optimum (which she of course was riding)! I've seen one or two other 585s and a small assortment of other Looks but they are pleasingly rare! And long may it remain that way!

Taa for the Positives! I will post again when I have the new wheels on and probably include the costings....