new rear wheel compatible with shimano centre lock required

Big dave 3
Big dave 3 Posts: 304
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I currently have shimano xtr m985 hubs with mavic 717 rims & sapim spokes I belioeve. The hub/frehub is nackered I believe. The wheels are 4 years old. I took them to local bike shop & they recommended just buying a new rear wheel. THey also have the shimano xtr centrelock discs.

WHat should I get to replace the wheel? It is used for commuting mainly with slicks on. I dont want to spend more than 150 as it is only a commuter bike.

ADvice gratefuly received, as im out of touch with whats a good wheel these days.
/

Marin Team HT (customiosed commuter)

Boardman Team HT (customised commuter)

Giant Defy 1 2014.

Ribble Sportive Azzurro

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Who told you that?

New bearings, freehub if needed. You've got one of the best you can buy
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'd find a new LBS.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Big dave 3
    OK the problem is that I was with my toddler daughter who was running round the shop & I couldnt see what they were looking at , or really take too much notice as I was distracted. I think they may have said that the hub is nackered.

Its making a rubbing noise when you drive the cassette with the chain.
    /

Giant Defy 1 2014.

Ribble Sportive Azzurro
  • Big dave 3
    They said that I have done well to have the hub last 3 years. I Have a replacement set of ball bearings & a XT freehub can be obtained for about 40 quid iirc. Should I try this route first? Or could the surface that the ball bearings come into contact with on the hub be too worn?
    /

Giant Defy 1 2014.

Ribble Sportive Azzurro
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Make sure the freehub is compatible - XTR hubs can be a bit odd.

The cones are replaceable. Shimano have tech manuals with part numbers and compatibility.
  • Big dave 3
    its 135 quid for a rear hub & then there is the cost of re building the wheel, as this would be required too wouldnt it?

WOuldnt it make more sense to buy a superstar wheel or maybe a xt rear wheel?
    /

Giant Defy 1 2014.

Ribble Sportive Azzurro
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    IF you need a new hub then yes a new wheel is more economically viable but as has been said the basic bearings and freehub should be cheaper and the hub itself is a good unit. Unless the rest of your wheel is wobbly you shouldn't need t replace it.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Big dave 3
    OK i have stripped the hub as far as I can. I cannot remove the freehub as i dont have a 14mm allen key. But I can see, on the non drive side the ball bearings are all held in by a ball bearing holder if that makes sense. On the drive side this is split & the ball bearings are loose & fell out. Can I get another one of these? If not, the ball bearings will be loose & I dont think will remain in place
    /

Giant Defy 1 2014.

Ribble Sportive Azzurro
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Are you serious?

If you're going to service something, look at the manual and make sure you have the tools and replacement/spare parts.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not seen a Shimano hub with caged balls before, all were loose and no they don't fall out.

go to techdocs.shimano.com and get the manual and stripdown list for the hub.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Big dave 3
    Are you serious?

If you're going to service something, look at the manual and make sure you have the tools and replacement/spare parts.

I did read the manual & I Have replacement ball bearings. ANd Allen keys, but a 14mm one is hardly an every day item.
    /

Giant Defy 1 2014.

Ribble Sportive Azzurro
  • Big dave 3
    The Rookie wrote:
    Not seen a Shimano hub with caged balls before, all were loose and no they don't fall out.

go to techdocs.shimano.com and get the manual and stripdown list for the hub.

THank you! I went & checked & on one side there is a ball retainer & on the freehub side there is not. I assumed that it would be the same on both sides.
    /

Giant Defy 1 2014.

Ribble Sportive Azzurro
  • Big dave 3
    How do you know if the ball bearings need replacing? ANd how do you know if the hub is worn?
    /

Giant Defy 1 2014.

Ribble Sportive Azzurro
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Put some pics up let's have a look.

The cones keep the balls in place. You are probably seeing the dust cap.