Trek Elite 8.6 opinions please

Nytol
Nytol Posts: 11
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi there, first post here, and a week since I decided to get back into cycling.

I tried out a few bikes today at Evans, Lakeside, a couple of 29ers, a Pinnacle and a Trek, but they did not really do much for me.

I'm a fairly big guy at 6'2 17st (powerlifter, not pie eater :) ), but they felt cumbersome almost.

I've never ridden one before, so maybe it was lack of experience and having spent most of my youth on BMX, with only a few years of MTB after that?

After those I tried one of these, a Trek 8.6 Elite, and liked it a lot.

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/mo ... lite_8_6/#

It is currently on at £850 reduced from a supposed price of £1100 (yes I'm a cynic about 'sales')

My questions are, is it a good bike, are there better bikes for the money, is the 'sale' price a manufactured one.

I appreciate any help and look forward to reading and learning on here.

Matt

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Good deal at £850 IMO.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Nytol
    Thanks mate
  • I own the 8.6,for the price its going for now it really is a bargain, I've had mine since august 2013 and its original asking price was 1200, so already your saving yourself 350 quid, a decent hardtail with competent components, enjoy!
    'I'll trek two please....!
    To HT or not to HT is the question...
  • Have you looked at Evans?
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/elite-86-2014-mountain-bike-ec042077

Listed at £708.33 online...
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Decent bike for £850, even better for £708, very odd things going on with that though, it suggests the original price was £916.67.

As for sale prices being 'manufactured', they're certainly not, you'll struggle to find most bikes below RRP when they're current, I'm guessing that's discounted because hardly anyone wants a 26" wheeled XC hardtail these days. If you do then you're in luck.
  • Nytol
    I own the 8.6,for the price its going for now it really is a bargain, I've had mine since august 2013 and its original asking price was 1200, so already your saving yourself 350 quid, a decent hardtail with competent components, enjoy!

That is fantastic, thank you :D
  • Nytol
    njee20 wrote:
    Decent bike for £850, even better for £708, very odd things going on with that though, it suggests the original price was £916.67.

As for sale prices being 'manufactured', they're certainly not, you'll struggle to find most bikes below RRP when they're current, I'm guessing that's discounted because hardly anyone wants a 26" wheeled XC hardtail these days. If you do then you're in luck.

Again, thanks for taking the time to help me out.

When I click the Evans link it says the £850 reduced price that was in the shop.

Around £700 would have been much nicer :D

I think the two 8.6 bikes, (two different frame sizes), may have been the only 26" bikes in the shop?

So what you say makes sense.
  • njee20
    About right, particularly for cross-country type bikes, certainly means there's bargains to be had.

Sounds like it's not an issue, but bear in mind you can't buy Trek bikes over the phone/net, only by walking into a shop, so not much point in looking for bargains hundreds of miles away.
  • The earliest record of this bike was for £1200 and it was first avialible last quarter of 2012, yes 2012! I noticed it on Evans website advertised as an trek 8.6 2013 and was for sale at£1200, then august 2013 price reduced to £1000, I actually ordered the last one in 17.5 inch and all the rest said discontinued and stock won't be replenished, only 2 months after they were in stock again and on for £1100 but advertised as a trek 8.6 2014,same bike same spec, crazy hey!
    'I'll trek two please....!
    To HT or not to HT is the question...
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    The 8 Seires are good bikes. As you are over 6', I would go for the 21.5" frame.

One bit of advice, if you are a strong lad, you may want to invest in a better BB when this one dies. If it is the fitment that I am thinking, go for a Hope PF41. It has a threaded centre tube to reduce/eliminates movement.
  • Nytol
    Levi_501 wrote:
    The 8 Seires are good bikes. As you are over 6', I would go for the 21.5" frame.

One bit of advice, if you are a strong lad, you may want to invest in a better BB when this one dies. If it is the fitment that I am thinking, go for a Hope PF41. It has a threaded centre tube to reduce/eliminates movement.

The frame I tried was a 19.5" and it felt OK, but they are getting me a 21.5" in for Friday to try, and I'm hoping it goes from feeling 'good' to 'great'.

I shall keep that in mind regarding the BB, thank you.
  • njee20
    Nytol wrote:
    Levi_501 wrote:

The frame I tried was a 19.5" and it felt OK, but they are getting me a 21.5" in for Friday to try, and I'm hoping it goes from feeling 'good' to 'great'.

I shall keep that in mind regarding the BB, thank you.

Mmm, I'd think you're on the cusp, certainly woudn't definitely say 21", bit of a gate, the 19.5" may be a better bet.
  • Nytol
    njee20 wrote:

Mmm, I'd think you're on the cusp, certainly woudn't definitely say 21", bit of a gate, the 19.5" may be a better bet.

The guy said he'd put the 19.5 aside for me, (although he also said he'd make sure it was ready for 10.30 tomorrow, yet apparently there was 'no note on the system' about that :roll: ), so I can try them back to back and see which feels right.
  • Nytol
    I tried the 21.5 today and it felt much better, felt really good, so I went with that.

I was impressed by the service from Evans at Lakeside, all good guys, genuinely passionate about cycling.