Overshoe recommendation

tgotb
tgotb Posts: 4,714
edited June 2014 in Commuting chat
Bit OT for commuting, but I'm after a pair of overshoes for a week's credit card tour in the Alps. I'll be wearing them over a pair of S-Works road shoes which are pretty well ventilated, so I'm after something I can put over the top if it gets cold/wet. Criteria:
- Lightweight (this is quite important)
- Windproof
- Fairly rainproof; don't mind if my feet end up a bit wet, so long as the water's not being refreshed too rapidly
- Don't have to be particularly robust, they're only ever likely to get used for trips like this
- Not insulated
- Breathable would be nice, but no idea whether breathable waterproof overshoes actually exist

My Pro TT overshoes would do the job (though they're emphatically not breathable, and I have to tape them up to stop the zips coming undone), can anyone recommend something better?
Pannier, 120rpm.

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I like my BBB waterflex overshoes - match most of your criteria (except maybe breathable which, like you, I doubt exists). I use mine over S-Works shoes.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Me and the wife have been through a few pairs and always end up with BBB overshoes. Best waterproofing I have come across.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Exteondo Lycra Oversock
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    I've got these, and they suck.

Just in case you might be looking at them.
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • meanredspider
    leeefm wrote:
    I've got these, and they suck.

Just in case you might be looking at them.

I absolutely knew what they were going to be before I clicked on the link. Endura overshoes have been utter crap forever. My first two pairs lasted 6 weeks total between them :roll:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    God knows how they get good reviews...
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • meanredspider
    leeefm wrote:

Because most reviews are written within a month (at most) of purchase. Many people may hardly have used them by then. They look ok and fitted ok. They just wore out very quickly once I started using them until, finally, the zip broke.
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    BBB are the only ones I've bought that actually fit my big feet properly. Not sure if the good fit is the reason they have also outlasted Endura, Planet X, and DHB by a huge margin. I will be buying BBB again.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Not sure if they still are but BBB overshoes were on offer on sportspursuit.

I got some of the Endura pro version and they suck. Still on a quest to find my fully waterproof overshoes.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • tgotb
    Thanks all. Chain Reaction have the BBB ones at half price, so it's looking like a no-brainer :-)

Considering the Castelli ones for TTing. Only issue is that I already have a Castelli skinsuit (for performance reasons). Whilst I know it doesn't really matter, something inside me rails at the idea of wearing all-over matching Castelli...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Surely that is the look?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    leeefm wrote:

Because most reviews are written within a month (at most) of purchase. Many people may hardly have used them by then. They look ok and fitted ok. They just wore out very quickly once I started using them until, finally, the zip broke.

I must be the luckiest Endura user in the World as my pair have done 6 Winters and are still going strong (I don't commute in Winter by the way, just weekend rides).
    Yes I have used Duck Tape on a couple of rub points, but all neoprene overshoes will rub in the same way.
    I keep eyeing up alternatives waiting for the day a zip fails or they just fall apart but I've not even had a hint that's going to happen. Must have the only good pair! :D

As for the OP, I have been looking for a while for the same type of thing and, having failed to find what the Pro's seem to wear in the Classics, Have whittled down the options to

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/northwave-h2o-shoecover/
    or
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-wet-lite-oveshoes/ - Only in small at Wiggle at the minute but the same as Castelli Nano's. I have seen the Nanos in the rubber coated lycra and they do feel really flimsy
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    TGOTB wrote:
    Thanks all. Chain Reaction have the BBB ones at half price, so it's looking like a no-brainer :-)

Considering the Castelli ones for TTing. Only issue is that I already have a Castelli skinsuit (for performance reasons). Whilst I know it doesn't really matter, something inside me rails at the idea of wearing all-over matching Castelli...
    dont do it! just get the mavics. although from what i understand the fashion is to have knee length overshoes for TTing
  • tgotb
    spasypaddy wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

dont do it! just get the mavics. although from what i understand the fashion is to have knee length overshoes for TTing
    Couple of weeks ago I found myself starting behind a guy with:
    Skinsuit (de rigeur)
    Shaved legs (ditto)
    Pointy hat with visor
    Long sleeves (more aero, makes sense)
    Aero overshoes (ditto)
    Knee-high woolly socks - WTF?

I caught him fairly quickly, aided no doubt by the huge hole in the air left by his socks...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    menthel wrote:
    Me and the wife have been through a few pairs and always end up with BBB overshoes. Best waterproofing I have come across.
    Which BBB ones are the decently waterproofed ones as there are a few different models?