How often do people change their bike?

Too Fast
Too Fast Posts: 17
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
As per the title, how often do people change their bike? Do people do it every 2-3 years? 5-10K miles or when something new and shines takes their fancy? I'm sure the answer is all down to personal preference (a bit like a car really) but wanted to see what most people did and why.

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Condor was bought/built in 1987
    Rourke was bought/built in 2012

So I make it every 25 years! Althought I still have the Condor and use it for wet/winter rides so I haven't so much as changed it, but added to it.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    exactly you dont change it, just n+1 when you can afford to / get away with it.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    t4tomo wrote:
    exactly you dont change it, just n+1 when you can afford to / get away with it.

This :D
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Much like triggers broom bikes can last forever, they aren't like cars where eventually they will wear out and you'll have to get a new one. Frames especially can go on pretty much indefinitely if looked after and not crashed, all the other components can be replaced as and when. If you're happy with the bike you have there is rarely a need to buy a new one just because yours is old.
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    About every 6 months i have an itch for something new. I keep that at bay for another 12-18 months then succumb. Then kid myself i'll offload one of the others, which i rarely do unless i simply don't ride it (like my Equilibrium). So the number just keeps going up. Bikes are never changed, they just assume a different place in the riding order.
  • chaos75
    chaos75 Posts: 72
    I can't believe how unhelpful some people are. If my wife ever reads this forum my chances of a new bike are now scuppered. Surely a response along the lines of
    "Legislation states every three years due to the non preventable fatigue of major components. This affects all bikes manufactured post the 2004 inter agency carbon fibre, steel and aluminium analysis inquiry and failure to comply may lead to prosecution up to 10 years in prison and an unlimited fine".
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well I had a mountain bike for 7 years, but gradually found myself riding it more on road than off. So at the age of 50 and in receipt of a bonus I treated myself to an aluminium (winter trainer) road bike. Then 6 years later and in receipt of another bonus I found it impossible not to buy one of Westbrook's bargaintastic CR1-SL framesets.

So on average every 6 or 7 years for me

However, now I have a winter / wet weather bike, and a feathery carbon summer / dry weather bike, I can't see me needing any more.
  • Too Fast
    Too Fast Posts: 17
    chaos75 wrote:
    I can't believe how unhelpful some people are. If my wife ever reads this forum my chances of a new bike are now scuppered. Surely a response along the lines of
    "Legislation states every three years due to the non preventable fatigue of major components. This affects all bikes manufactured post the 2004 inter agency carbon fibre, steel and aluminium analysis inquiry and failure to comply may lead to prosecution up to 10 years in prison and an unlimited fine".

I just used that one to buy a new helmet. Mind you I did get 4 jerseys, bib shorts and a mini pump with CO2 at the same time without telling her. Told her that helmets are for safety so cost a fortune! :D
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,975
    Too Fast wrote:
    chaos75 wrote:

I just used that one to buy a new helmet. Mind you I did get 4 jerseys, bib shorts and a mini pump with CO2 at the same time without telling her. Told her that helmets are for safety so cost a fortune! :D

We're a sneaky bunch, aren't we. I recognise these tactics... just hope SWMBO doesn't read this.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    My helmet is the only component I haven't replaced since I started cycling 2 years ago. Perhaps I will have to try this tactic too ;)
  • littledove44
    littledove44 Posts: 871
    I have told my wife that she can have a new bike whenever she wants one, and that she must not even consider the cost as bikes are such wonderful things.

It is only right that the same rules apply to me.

She, on the other hand prefers to walk with the Spaniel.

This is a good arrangement and I can recommend it to others.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Well my wife bought herself an unpractical and fairly pricey car a couple of years back, so I use that fact to justify what I spend.
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    Around every 3-4 years, I would like to do it more often - but I spend so much on cycling clothing etc. throughout the year then holidays on top, I just can't afford to...
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    As often as the company increases the Bike to Work voucher maximum value.........
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    I'm on my 4th in 3 years. 2 got nicked and one suffered a damaged frame

Thought I was doing well to have the last one 18 months. Hopefully break that record this time
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Usually when they are beyond economical repair. My last XC mountain bike was great for 17 years but it came to the point when buying a new bike was the best value.
  • finlayson99
    finlayson99 Posts: 213
    n+1

Got a garage full of bikes, only ever sold one in my life. That was a 1980 Raleigh Zenith, wish I hadn't.

I think it's called obsessive hoarding.
    SC Heckler
    Chopper Mk2
    Grifter
    Merlin Malt-CR
    Revolution Courier 2
  • mambo1
    mambo1 Posts: 13
    chaos75 wrote:

I will oblige. I have been testing carbon prototypes for almost a year now. Our stress and cycle testing has demonstrated that after a maximum 15,000 kms, carbon fibre frames become unsafe to ride WITHOUT EXCEPTION. Warranties will generally not cover you after this period if the bike is used for riding (see small print). Continued riding of a carbon fibre bicycle beyond this three year threshold places the rider at great and unnecessary risk of sudden total failure of the carbon fibres and epoxy resin materials. You can of course extend the usage period if you purchase two bikes or even three and divide the mileage between them. You will be automatically liable for any accidents that occur as a result of total carbon frame failure if used beyond the parameters stated above :D
    Owner Cicli Schiavona - Custom hand-made Italian frames at prices you won't believe!

http://www.ciclischiavona.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cicli-Sc ... 8745538716
  • finlayson99
    finlayson99 Posts: 213
    mambo1 wrote:

I will oblige. I have been testing carbon prototypes for almost a year now. Our stress and cycle testing has demonstrated that after a maximum 15,000 kms, carbon fibre frames become unsafe to ride WITHOUT EXCEPTION. Warranties will generally not cover you after this period if the bike is used for riding (see small print). Continued riding of a carbon fibre bicycle beyond this three year threshold places the rider at great and unnecessary risk of sudden total failure of the carbon fibres and epoxy resin materials. You can of course extend the usage period if you purchase two bikes or even three and divide the mileage between them. You will be automatically liable for any accidents that occur as a result of total carbon frame failure if used beyond the parameters stated above :D

Thank you that is really helpful advice. Safety is of course paramount.

I will advise her indoors as such and she will no doubt encourage regular purchasing.

You provide a very useful service there
    SC Heckler
    Chopper Mk2
    Grifter
    Merlin Malt-CR
    Revolution Courier 2
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Bikes are like women.

You ride it until you get bored of it or you find a lighter model.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Bikes are like women.

You ride it until you get bored of it or you find a lighter model.

Or things get bumpy, something suddenly snaps and you suffer swift and painful damage to your gentleman veg.