Sanderson Breath build... hmmm... steel!

bertberr
bertberr Posts: 151
edited June 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Fancied building up a simple steel HT that I can use and abuse in winter and other abysmal weather. Had the frame for a few years now, but never got round to building it up and other bikes got in the way. Likewise the wheels, brakes and forks. Most of the other bits were either snaffled from the parts box or removed from my old ali HT. Only had to buy (this time round) seatpost, bars, chainring (Hope 30T Retainer ring), saddle & grips.

Haldon23June14027Large_zps91e4c4be.jpg

Sanderson Breath 16" frame
Reba SL Dual Air
Cane Creek S3 headset

Mavic XM719 on Deore XT M756
Maxxis Advantage 2.25" (sticky one on front)

Raceface Turbine isis crank
Hope 30T Retainer ring
Sram pc951 chain
Deore XT 11-34 cassette
Deore XTR M952 mech
Deore XT M770 shifter 9spd

Jensen Engineering 27.2 post
Specialized Henge Expert Ti saddle
Hope 30.0 QR seat clamp
On-One Ultralight stem 70mm
Renthal Fatbar Lite 740 bar (probably cut down to 720 or 710)
Renthal Kevlar lock-ons
New style V12 pedals / M520's

Avid BB7 MTN brakes with SD7 levers
Jagwire Ripcord compression less brake cables

Would like it to come in under 26lbs as I live in south Devon and its all up/down round here, and I need all the help I can get...

Will update with further pics as i go, though with young kids, work etc etc it won't be tonight!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm not 'into' steel, but the narrower tubes certainly can make a sweeter looking frame - enjoy!

Having said that I'd want to shed some weight with hydraulic brakes!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bertberr
    bertberr Posts: 151
    I did consider some SLX brakes and RT66 rotors, but having worked it out the saving was less than 200g. Worthwhile for sure, but since I already had the BB7's and SD7 levers, I thought I'd give them a go.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    The Rookie wrote:
    I'm not 'into' steel

Heathen :P

If it ain't steel it ain't real :wink:

Looks good so far 8)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    arran77 wrote:
    Heathen :P

If it ain't steel it ain't real :wink:
    Haha, wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same, then it would be just like STW on here......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.