Quality bib short sizing faff / recommendations ...

KnightOfTheLongTights
KnightOfTheLongTights Posts: 1,415
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
So I'm ready to splash a bit of dosh at some nice new bib shorts - about £100 - and having read a few reviews, I get some Sportful Grupettos, size S: no chance.
Replace them with size M - still too small, and shoulder straps getting loose so Large isn't an option.
So I get some Castelli Aero-Race, size M - nearly there but too tight and crushing around the gonads. Again, Large will just be wrong.

Now, I am 5'6", 10 stone 10lb, 31' inch waist - so not a racing snake but pretty trim, with larger than average thighs, and size S or M in all the cycling brands I've hitherto purchased (DHB, Nalini, club kit).

But it seems upmarket bib shorts are designed for someone not my shape.
Is this the case with Assos and Rapha too?
Any recommendations?
Thanks

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well I'm 5'6" and post-holiday am 10st 12lbs and a 32" waist. Plan is to get down to 10 st. Anyway, I just bought a pair of the £89 Assos bibshorts from the Assos Outlet. Based on their sizing chart I went for small, and was pleasantly surprised to find them a perfect but snug fit. Really keeps the pad in the right place. Makes me realise I probably should've gone for small in the DHB bibshorts these are replacing.

I don't have massive thighs though; not sure how that would affect the fit.
  • leechy12
    leechy12 Posts: 47
    Try emailing the guys at Prendas and see what they recommend...Excellent service and a sensibly priced range.
    VeloViewer Score
    From 100 of 1,168 segments.
    Maximum possible score: 99.95
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Just got some Endura FS260 bib shorts, really comfy despite 10 hours in the saddle...recommend them.

I'm 12 stone, 32" wasit and the medium are quite snug on me.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • keef66 wrote:
    Makes me realise I probably should've gone for small in the DHB bibshorts these are replacing.

Yes the DHB Aeron Pro bibs I have in size S are a really good fit and excellent shorts.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    171cm (5' 7" and a bit), 30" waist, 67kg and I wear Rapha Pro Team small, Etxeondo Attaque small and Assos med.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/santini-edge-nat-bibshorts.html

These might work in Medium, straps aren't that long so should work for a slightly shorter torso, plus they are really good.
  • thanks all

can anyone give me a quick run-down of Assos bibs - I'm coming across 'FI Uno', 'T.neoPro' and 'Mille' online - I understand that the latter are their expensive endurance short with a big pad and a slightly roomier fit.
    What about the others?
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    The newer bibs have longer legs so may cause a bit of flapping round the opening (they did for me and were swapped for another par of Pro Teams). The 'classic' FI Uno is a great bib. I still use my 3 year old pair.
  • mfin wrote:
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/santini-edge-nat-bibshorts.html

These might work in Medium, straps aren't that long so should work for a slightly shorter torso, plus they are really good.

size guide is telling me I'm a small there ... Like the look of them actually, so going to order.
  • update - just received the Santini Edge bibs (great service from Prendas): they look and feel great and actually fit well (Small), seems like a quality buy for £85 but the proof will be in the riding I suppose.
    One reservation: extra length legs, why? They come down right to the kneecap which means the grippers go round over the big tendons at the back of the knee.
    It seems a few brands seem to think people want this, I can't for the life of me see why.
  • keef66
    My £89 Assos bibs were the perfect length in the leg for me. I wouldn't be able to cope with anything as long as you describe...

The biggest revelation though has been the chamois. It looks very basic, but there's something clever and multi-layered going on in there. Swiss magic of some kind.
  • keef66 wrote:
    My £89 Assos bibs were the perfect length in the leg for me. I wouldn't be able to cope with anything as long as you describe...

The biggest revelation though has been the chamois. It looks very basic, but there's something clever and multi-layered going on in there. Swiss magic of some kind.

keef, which Assos bibs are they do you know - Uno?
  • keef66
    keef66 wrote:

keef, which Assos bibs are they do you know - Uno?

http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/men/s ... rt-s2.html

T-Pro bibshort S2 apparently. Possibly a slightly dumbed down model for the outlet shop only. But they do the others on there too; have a browse
  • ilovegrace
    ilovegrace Posts: 677
    drlodge wrote:
    Just got some Endura FS260 bib shorts, really comfy despite 10 hours in the saddle...recommend them.

I'm 12 stone, 32" wasit and the medium are quite snug on me.
    to tight for me 5ft10 ish 11st 10lb 32 waist seat was neat fit but straps far to tight , changed them for large , now were talking.
    regards
    ILG
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    So I'm ready to splash a bit of dosh at some nice new bib shorts - about £100 - and having read a few reviews, I get some Sportful Grupettos, size S: no chance.
    Replace them with size M - still too small, and shoulder straps getting loose so Large isn't an option.
    So I get some Castelli Aero-Race, size M - nearly there but too tight and crushing around the gonads. Again, Large will just be wrong.

Now, I am 5'6", 10 stone 10lb, 31' inch waist - so not a racing snake but pretty trim, with larger than average thighs, and size S or M in all the cycling brands I've hitherto purchased (DHB, Nalini, club kit).

But it seems upmarket bib shorts are designed for someone not my shape.
    Is this the case with Assos and Rapha too?
    Any recommendations?
    Thanks

I'm same height couple of lbs lighter and wear size L Castelli bib shorts. They fit perfectly. Tight to walk around in but comfy when in a race crouch. Take Italian sizing with a pinch of salt.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    I'm same height couple of lbs lighter and wear size L Castelli bib shorts. They fit perfectly. Tight to walk around in but comfy when in a race crouch. Take Italian sizing with a pinch of salt.

I took your advice in the end, got them in L, and have been out in them a couple of times now - I like them, they are obviously quality, an OK fit but on me in that size, the pad feels massive, and it feels like it bunches a bit, although no major chafing to report. Reckon if I hadn't splashed on the chamois cream there might have been ...