Advice on wheel upgrade £700

andy37
andy37 Posts: 120
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi, sorry to put you through the wheels debate again but as i have been looking there appears to be quite a good choice in my £600-£700 price bracket and i would appreciate input from anyone with experience on these wheel sets.

I ride a Trek Madone 5.2 2013 model which i love to bits but as i have a few sportives coming up and i feel the need to upgrade the wheels. I live in Lancashire and hills are never far away so im happy to trade "aero" for less weight but they do need to be stiff, light, strong and roll well. Options are

Mavic Kyserium sls (£710)
Fulcrum Zero (£690)
Campag shamal ultra mega (£600)
Shimano duraace 9000 c24 (£630)

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Comments

• brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    I'd go something like speaking to the thecycleclinic, or Ugo or any of the other wheel builders on the forum and get:

H Plus Son Archtype on a 24/28 radial front with maybe a 2x rear; CX Rays and 9000 hubs. They come in cheaper than the prices you state here and will be great for what you are talking about.

That's what I built for my friend as I am starting it as a hobby and he was prepared to let me do it for him - bottom line he loves them and is now convincing his cousin and two other people to get similar. He rode them back home on a century around Sheffield the other week getting in around 9000 ft of climbing, so I guess they are OK :) He's also doing the TDF Stage 2 on them in a few weeks.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • You could probably get some Chris King hubs for that, or if going factory built I'd go for Mavic Ksyrium SLRs
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles