Looking for AM bike ideas

mxh
mxh Posts: 51
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Looking for some ideas as to what bike might suit me next.

Currently I ride a 2013 Scott Genius 720 - 27.5, carbon, 150mm travel, 67.7 head angle, weighs in at just over 30lbs. Thoughts on this bike - I found the riding position too XC, so flipped the stem (-6 to +6) and put on a 3/4" riser - suits me better now. It's now a fantastic trail bike, and on fast, flowing stuff it's great, but I'm doing a lot more AM type riding and it doesn't inspire confidence on the steeper stuff, drops etc. Have decided to move on to something else.

I suppose I look at the Genius as having XC roots, with changes to make it more Trail / AM. However, I think I want something that's got DH roots and is coming at AM from the other direction.

So what am I looking for in the specs?
27.5 wheels
Carbon (probably) but alloy OK as long as it can be built to an OK weight
Similar weight to current bike (maybe a couple of lbs more would be OK)
66 to 66.5 HA
Still OK for the occasional XC ride

Tried a Pivot Mach 6 the other day - great bike on the trail, but felt I was a bit too 'over the front'. I'm 5'10 and was riding a Medium - maybe a large would have suited me better - but wasn't convinced it was what I'm after.

If Specialized bring out a 27.5 Enduro next year that would definitely get a look in.
Also considering building up a Banshee Rune.

Anything else that I should be considering?

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    what's your budget?

A mates just gone from a Genius 710 to a Genius LT 710 and loving it. Slacker, longer, more travel just way more cut out for pointing downwards. He found the basic 710 super sketchy on the descents (we're in the Alps so they're steep and techie) but is really impressed by the LT version
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • mxh
    Budget isn't an issue (within reason!) - I spend a fair amount of time on the bike, so I'm happy to spend the cash if it's for the right one.

Haven't really looked at the LT Genius - good to hear I'm not the only one who thinks the standard Genius isn't great going downhill. The spec of the 710LT looks a bit better as well - the Evo level 2013 Fox 34s that came on the 720 can only be described as utter shite. And they've moved away from the DT Swiss shock, which is probably a good thing.

Will add the LT to my 'possible' list - any other suggestions?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Money no object then a custom build Bronson Carbon is my first thought, Trek Remedy 9.8, Genius LT, Rocky Mountain Altitude, Cannondale Jekyll, the new Devinci enduro bike, Transition Covert? The list is endless and to be honest most of them are pretty decent rides at the high end and will all be in your target weight range.

Money no object though and you should definitely be going custom build - look at ubyk or someone similar to do it for you but best bet buy the bits you want and build it yourself.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    A fwd geometry mondraker dune XR, most stable bike ive ridden :P
  • felix.london
    Tbh - If I were you I'd probably go for a YT Capra CF Pro and the money I'd saved over a similarly spec'd Spesh, Scott, SC etc I'd take it to the Alps or Whistler for a month...win!

Trek Session 8
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    From a Trek perspective I can only say positive things about the Remedy 9.8 however you may find it leaning a little too much towards the XC side of things. Putting on a 150mm travel fork does transform the bike back to a more AM feel and it's light weight is bonus.

Have heard great things about the Slash 9 being like a small DH bike that can still motor uphill and is a very capable machine. Currently alloy only but rumour of a carbon being released.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Tbh - If I were you I'd probably go for a YT Capra CF Pro and the money I'd saved over a similarly spec'd Spesh, Scott, SC etc I'd take it to the Alps or Whistler for a month...win!

This man speaks the truth.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Qui3tman
    Qui3tman Posts: 94
    Depends on when you want the bike though, YT's website states delivery in October-November
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    Commencal Meta AM Factory Edition?
  • Qui3tman
    Qui3tman Posts: 94
    Personally I went for a Canyon Spectral 6.0.

Beautiful bike and gets great write ups. I was a bit worried about the sizing but luckily a guy near me has bought one so I got to go size myself up on it and a large fit me perfectly. Love the fact that out of my initial budget I have enough left over to do some nice upgrades when the time comes.
  • mxh
    Some good options there - although must admit I'd never heard of a YT before. Not sure I want to wait that long for a new bike though. The Trek Slash isn't something I'd thought of either - especially if they do a carbon version.

Hmm - so many choices!!
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    mxh wrote:
    Some good options there - although must admit I'd never heard of a YT before. Not sure I want to wait that long for a new bike though. The Trek Slash isn't something I'd thought of either - especially if they do a carbon version.

Hmm - so many choices!!

The alloy Slash came in pretty light with owners claiming just under 29 lbs which is pretty impressive for a 160mm travel bike. Very tempted to get hold of a frame and do a build.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • felix.london
    mxh wrote:

Hmm - so many choices!!

The alloy Slash came in pretty light with owners claiming just under 29 lbs which is pretty impressive for a 160mm travel bike. Very tempted to get hold of a frame and do a build.

Put a Pike and single ring up front on my 165mm Votec and it'd be about that weight. Medium frame was 2.9kg with shock and cost £630 delivered

Trek Session 8