What 26" XC Hardtail MTB? Budget around £1k 2nd hand.

dannewcombe1
dannewcombe1 Posts: 7
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

I'm looking to replace my 2009 NS Core 1 with something more suitable to the riding I do. I tend to ride black trails at bike parks and don't do any crazy jumps / drops. I'm looking for a hardtail unless you can convince otherwise? has 26" wheels and is lightweight current bike it 15.6kg.

I don't want to buy new as I should be able to pick up something a year or two old that's a far better build for around 1k.

Any recommendations, suggestions and feedback welcome.

dannewcombe

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Impossible to suggest used bikes as it depends what condition they're in. I don't know what UK bike park black trails are like but if you were going new...On-One Carbon 456 X9 ? Not an XC bike but looks like it could handle most stuff and nice and light at under 11.5kg
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Hi Felix,

Thanks for the suggestion. Instead of suggesting bikes for around 1k, 2nd hand value which like you said could be hard. What 2013 bikes 1k+ can people advise? I will be okay with 100mm fork travel not really wanting to go any more as it 'should' be adequate. Ideally as light as possible within reason!

Thanks

dannewcombe
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For Blacks at most trail centres I'd suggest you will be better off something with 120mm forks, it's the weak point on mine in that when it gets that bit rougher I have to ease off as the front is running out of travel and getting quite harsh, even though I set at 20% sag for trail centres.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    In that case I'd be looking at the On-One Parkwood. 29er and new so completely not what you asked for! but hard to ignore that spec if you ask me

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    Hard to beat for the spec, even buying used!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Someone will come along and say I'm biased (because I am) but I would buy new not SH... why? Because the crop of 2014/15 bikes have moved a long way. Check out our Zero.4 model (http://shop.birdmtb.com/zero/zero-4.html) or the Whyte 901 (http://whyte.bike/gb/models/trail/trail-hardtail-27-5-650b/901-2/). These are two bikes within striking distance of your price that offer a great all round ride. Slacker angles and longer travel doesn't kill your XC potential in the slightest. I did over 100k on my Zero this weekend round wales no problems.... and when the hill turns downwards - then it only gets better. As long as its a decent 130/140 fork you wont find that a problem.

Weight wise I don't know about the Whyte, but ours is 12.1Kg for a medium Zero.4.... and thats a strong frame too! No skinny whippet XC tubing used here!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • felix.london
    dunno about the weight but I should imagine it's >14kg (complete guess) but from what I read about UK trail centres I reckon that should be a right laugh, especially with the dropper post. Bet you could put in some fast loops with that bike

Trek Session 8
  • On further research its looking like I might possibly have to dive into the 27.5/29" market! The black runs vary quite a bit. Unless you go to a downhill centre I can't see any reason for 100mm+ forks. I'm sure 100mm should be enough. What do you guys think of the Scott Spark? Was looking at the 620 / 30. Seems to tick all the boxes?
  • Scott Scale**
  • benpinnick wrote:
    Someone will come along and say I'm biased (because I am) but I would buy new not SH... why? Because the crop of 2014/15 bikes have moved a long way. Check out our Zero.4 model (http://shop.birdmtb.com/zero/zero-4.html) or the Whyte 901 (http://whyte.bike/gb/models/trail/trail-hardtail-27-5-650b/901-2/). These are two bikes within striking distance of your price that offer a great all round ride. Slacker angles and longer travel doesn't kill your XC potential in the slightest. I did over 100k on my Zero this weekend round wales no problems.... and when the hill turns downwards - then it only gets better. As long as its a decent 130/140 fork you wont find that a problem.

Weight wise I don't know about the Whyte, but ours is 12.1Kg for a medium Zero.4.... and thats a strong frame too! No skinny whippet XC tubing used here!

Both are really nice bikes however I think i would rather go for a 1 or 2 year old bike just so I can get a decent groupset, brake, fork. Hopefully I can get something that was fairly pricey on launch.
  • felix.london
    But what Ben (and others) are saying is that this year there are some cracking packages available on new models so even if you get a 2012 or 2013 model the spec sheet wont be as good as getting one of the bikes mentioned above.

check out Paul's Cycles for deals on older models but don't think you'll find better as they're all big brands and in this price bracket the big brands have mediocre (at best) spec sheets

i.e. this means nada...
    Hopefully I can get something that was fairly pricey on launch.

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    Yup getting something that was overpriced for the price it was worth in the first place is not really an achievement.
  • But what Ben (and others) are saying is that this year there are some cracking packages available on new models so even if you get a 2012 or 2013 model the spec sheet wont be as good as getting one of the bikes mentioned above.

check out Paul's Cycles for deals on older models but don't think you'll find better as they're all big brands and in this price bracket the big brands have mediocre (at best) spec sheets

i.e. this means nada...
    Hopefully I can get something that was fairly pricey on launch.

Sure, Having a look on paulscycles the following looks quite nice

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s2p5089/SCOTT-SCALE-620-2013
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s2p5088/SCOTT-SCALE-630-2013
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s2p4681/CUBE-REACTION-GTC-PRO-2013

Also quite like the look of the Lapierre Pro Race 2013 models.