Road Wheel Hubs....HELP!!!

AORboyo
AORboyo Posts: 53
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi Folks,

On the verge of purchasing new handbuilt wheels that are going to be used on my winter training bike which I ride all year round if weathers not great, live in UK so that's 90% of the time.

Did fancy Hope Pro 3 / Mono RS Mono hubs that will have Archetype rims....Someone else mentioned Miche hubs, I have NO knowledge of these hubs....How do they compare with HOPE???

Cheers.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Miche are good value hubs but not in the same league as Hope.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If you're planning to use the hubs throughout winter and in grotty summer conditions then I would be leaning towards some cup and cone hubs that are relatively easy to maintain and service.

Something like Ultegra or Dura Ace if you really want to push the boat out.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Miche are good and easy to service. Hope have a better freehub and the freehub seal is superior. If you are prepared to service your hub frequently, get the Miche, if you want something fit and forget, get the Hope.

BTW: I am talking rear hubs, front hubs are much of a muchness and if you are on a budget, get the cheapest... they are all pretty good
    left the forum March 2023
  • AORboyo
    AORboyo Posts: 53
    I currently ride Shimano Dura Ace C24's.

How good are Shimano hubs for all year round riding especially UK winter weather, are they recommended for the week in week out harsh elements???......Shimano or Hope???
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Yeah sure, but cup/cone bearings need periodic service, while sealed bearings do not. If you are happy to service your hubs, Dura Ace are excellent
    left the forum March 2023
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I have some Kinlin XC-279 rims built on Miche Primato hubs and they've been faultless thus far (only had a few months though). They were highly recommended by the wheel builder, Malcolm @ The Cycle Clinic and look at the link on the bottom of Paolo's (Ugo) signature, he posted an article on how easy they are to service.

They are nice and smooth and appear to be good quality hubs.

EDIT: I also wanted a solid wheel for year round training but something I could also use in a race. These fit the bill nicely.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”