Fulcrum quattro pawl spring

Mad_Malx
Mad_Malx Posts: 5,164
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Removed my freehub on fairly new quattro's (with shimano freehub) this evening to clean and lube, because there seemed to be a lot of friction. This was a mistake.

I can't get the freehub back on - tried pushing the pawls in (gently) but the pawl and spring keeps popping out. I can't find any pictures of the quattro pawl spring, but my spring looks much shorter than the pictures I can find for other fulcrums- it only just reaches the third pawl and isn't holding it in place properly. It doesn't make a full circle when on the hub.

So - is my spring broken? I haven't spotted a broken bit.
Secondly - I can't see the spare for this wheel listed anywhere - anyone know what I need?

Comments

• beetle1
    beetle1 Posts: 189
    Hi there, i was out a few weeks ago on my 5's and intermittently there was no drive whatsoever. Got home, took the freehub body off and the problem was the spring. Really easy to fit, I didnt think it was broken until i received the new ones so I would give it a try, hope that helps

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... XLn7fD_BwE
  • Mad_Malx
    Thanks

All the listings are for Campag but I suspect Fulcrum can't bring themselves to say the word Shimano - page 19 of this
    http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/system/documents/files/SPARES2014-ROAD-25-03-14.pdf shows HG11 hubs, (which I think are Shimano) with the same spring as the campags.

The Fulcrum catalogue says 5-R1-015 for just about all the hubs, some sellers (including Ribble) say 5-FH-RE114 and others use the both codes, so I'm hoping they are all the same.
  • beetle1
    That's what I went with and they are fine
  • Mad_Malx
    Thanks beetle, spring ordered; I'll report back for the benefit of others.
  • Mad_Malx
    So what I've learned:

5-FH-RE114 from Ribble fit the Shimano hub although they are sold as Campag
    Almost certainly the same as 5-R1-015 :)

They were a doddle to fit - just had to push the pawls in one at a time with a small flat blade while applying a little pressure on the freehub and turning gently backwards. :)

The pawl spring wasn't broken, it had got pushed too far through the hole and bent at some stage, that's why it wasn't holding all the pawls in place. :?

I'm still struggling to get the wheel spinning smoothly without play :(
  • beetle1
    Hello mate, try some very light oil inside the freehub as well, its probably dried out.