5mm in rise

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
I'm about to get a new bar, from looking on the internet it seems that the stock whyte bar is 15mm. I'm either going to get 10mm or 20mm (probably 10), am I likely to notice the difference?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd ask first why you are getting a new bar? Look at width. and angles too.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why up Or down?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ferrals
    Supersonic, I'm getting a new bar because I had a bad crash and gouged holes in the old one! I am probably going to get a renthal fatbar lite, I was going to splash on the carbon version but can't justify the extra cash really.

Cool dad most bars seem to be in 10mm increments but I understand the stock bar is 15mm hence it will be up or down. I think down as it wil put me in a more efficient position (if I even notice the difference)

I'll remember to look at the angles. I picked up the renthal in the shop and width and sweep felt about right as far as I could tell off the bike
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Do you have spacers above our below your stem? Because if so they're normally 5mm high, and so you can keep the bars in the same place as they are currently by moving the spacers. And 5mm makes a big difference.
  • Ferrals
    Can someone give me a quick bit of info on the definitions, where is rise measured to? Is it just the rise from the central flat section to the start of the thinner bit or all the way to a horizontal line at the the ends of the bar. And is the upsweep/back sweep angle measured from the centre or where it starts to bend?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sweep is usually from the bend. Width a direct line straight across the ends.