Bar ends

divingmoose
divingmoose Posts: 540
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Anyone use bar ends on their bike and do they assist in climbs

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I used to use them in the 90s, so put some on my bike when I started MTB a few years back. They don't really help me on the climbs, they just let you change position with your hands. They aren't really cool anymore, but I wouldn't let thst stop you.

If you want to try some you can have mine for the cost of postage. Onza ones, longer ones with a bend. They are in the shed somewhere.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Also depends if you have normal bars, or silly fashionable superwide jobbies.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Meh, hands either side of the stem on the road - bar ends aren't aero - they open you up like a sail!

Wouldn't bother wider wider/riser bars - the sweep tends to negate the benefits. If you're running <600mm flat bars they're good though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    njee20 wrote:
    Meh, hands either side of the stem on the road - bar ends aren't aero - they open you up like a sail!
    +1....

On a straight level road/track I can run one gear higher holding either side of the stem as your shoulders roll in and your arms break up the airflow ahead of your torso.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I have them on the rat-bike. Never transfered them over to the XCer.
    I would possibly consider moving them over for a very long-ride, such as the C-2-C (4 hour + sat in the saddle without a break), as it is good to change your grip once in a while to stop your hands getting uncomfortable.

Wouldn't bother on anything else. (I once got pulled from a bike when a bar-end caught on a branch.)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I used them back in the mid 90s but tried them six years ago when I got back in to mountain biking and didn't like them. I do like nice wide bars though and bar ends won't work with them.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    We like rides of longer duration, so I had these on my old bike, and may yet transfer them if I decide to shorten the bar on the new bike. The missus swears by her Ergon grips with integrated bar ends, and was most insistent that the invisible bike fixing gnome move them over when she changed bikes.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    cyd190468 wrote:
    njee20 wrote:

Wouldn't bother wider wider/riser bars - the sweep tends to negate the benefits. If you're running <600mm flat bars they're good though.
    It puts your wrists in a much more comfortable position so you can lower your torso into a TT tuck. Holding the stem is actually the best solution but it makes corners a bit scary. It's like the position when you TT on a normal bike and you put your forarms on the tops of the bars and hold the very top of the hoods with your palms facing down.

Well done, captain obvious! Although holding the stem isn't ideal, I assume you mean (as I said) holding/resting a few inches either side of the stem. Again on the road though, having your hands on the hoods isn't that aero - hold either side of the stem and tuck your arms in, or just don't hold on - imaginary aero bars FTW.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That's were I hold on my commuter (flat barred hybrid, mostly MTB parts anyway), between the stem and the controls, so hands about 8-10" apart (middle to middle) perfectly good control even on packed gravel tracks, it narrows the shoulders, brakes up the airflow and pulls you forward slightly.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I have bar ends on both my bikes; but both bikes have 130mm stems and 590mm flat bars.

I really like them, they aid climbing and also a change of hand position is good.
  • paulneenan76
    paulneenan76 Posts: 777
    I don't miss them one bit. The benefits are limited and they tend to be magnets for branches, hedges and vines which grab on to the point where you either pull up 10kilos of shrubbery or separate you from the bike.

They are great for carrying shopping bags :wink:
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374