New mini-pump or CO2 Inflator?

DanDax1990
DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi guys, Got my new and first road bike arriving soon.

I currently have a Blackburn Mammoth mini-pump but it doesn't work too well inflating road tyres.

What's the best option, a new mini-pump or a CO2 inflator?

Can the CO2 cartridges be re-filled?

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Mini pump. will always work so long as you have arms. And no you cant refill cartridges
  • DanDax1990
    Cheers, the fact you can't refill the cartridges means that's a no go for me. Sounds expensive as chuff.

Any mini-pump recommendations?
  • smoggysteve
    topeak race rocket
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    Cheers, the fact you can't refill the cartridges means that's a no go for me. Sounds expensive as chuff.

How many flats are you planning on having? Get some cartridges from CO2inflaters box of 20 has lasted me 3 years and I think I have 18 left. I practised with one of them. Track pump at home used before every ride. Long solo rides and I'll take 2 carts and 2 tubes, club rides just one cos I can always borrow another if needed.
  • smoggysteve
    xscreamsuk wrote:
    DanDax1990 wrote:

How many flats are you planning on having? Get some cartridges from CO2inflaters box of 20 has lasted me 3 years and I think I have 18 left. I practised with one of them. Track pump at home used before every ride. Long solo rides and I'll take 2 carts and 2 tubes, club rides just one cos I can always borrow another if needed.

Who plans getting flats?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    One club ride a few years ago, 8 riders, 14 punctures and one pump - everyone else was carrying gas and when that ran out, my pump came in handy. Gas isn't 100% reliable IME - in winter, water in the tyre valve can freeze it open.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I'd always bring a pump. You can bring a couple of cartridges too for fast inflation and to get high pressure but I'd still want a pump, even a mediocre one as backup. Get a pump or get both.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Co2 pump and 2 cartridges here too. Tried the mini pump thing but was just never satisfied with the pressure. I use an air compressor pre-ride and in all the years I've been riding I reckon I've used about 3 cartridges and that was with clinchers and pinch flats. Since moving to tubs on every ride I haven't had one flat even on the current gritted roads everywhere.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    I take a mini pump and CO2 cartridges also just in case. the cartridges cost less than a couple of quid each and I have used maybe 2 in the last year. I commute mainly and the last thing I want is to be late for work so the CO2 gives me piece of mind. if you shop around you can get a good deal on the inflator part too im sure.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    I'd always bring a pump..
    Agreed. Take cartridges by all means, but for the sake of a few grams I think it's plain stupid not to have a mini-pump on the bike. You may struggle to get up to the tyre pressure you want, but at least it will get you home.
    I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    CO2 is faster and will put your tyres up to full pressure with no effort. So it's important if you want to spend minimum time stopped at the side of the road and want to be back riding at full speed straight after.

Mini-pumps will take longer and require more effort to inflate and will leave you with slightly under inflated tyres, but if you attach it to your frame it isn't going to take up any space and it's never going to run out of air, plus you're going to want to have a pump anyway, even if you have CO2.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    +1 for the "pump AND CO2" option.

Leyzene pressure drive pump (small) has a flexible hose, will just fit in a saddle bag and gets you up to 60-80 psi, then top up with 1/2 a CO2 cannister for speed and a nice hard tyre - means you still have 1/2 the cannister left should you or someone else get a flat.

CO2 cannisters work out around 50p each if you buy a box of 30.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    If you take C02 then a good tip is to cut up an old piece of inner tube and keep the cartridge in it. You will be amazed how cold they get when used and they can cause serious freeze burns if you are not careful.

I always have a pump attached to the bike (Lezyne Road drive, large) and also carry a C02 whenever speed is an issue (club ride, for example). Also, I always carry 2 spare inner tubes (if you ride over glass with the front tyre...the rear is likely to follow! Sticky patches for emergencies. Then again, I do some longer riders and need to be as self sufficient as poss.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Mini-pumps will take longer and require more effort to inflate and will leave you with slightly under inflated tyres,
    Only if you're a lazy oik and can't be bothered to spend the extra time it takes to pump your tyres.

I mostly go for mini pump - I've got a choice - including one with a pressure gauge that easily gets above 120psi (oops - only meant to get to 100!) but also take CO2 when I think time will be more pressing or I don't want the inconvenience of the mini pump.
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    If you take C02 then a good tip is to cut up an old piece of inner tube and keep the cartridge in it. You will be amazed how cold they get when used and they can cause serious freeze burns if you are not careful.

I always have a pump attached to the bike (Lezyne Road drive, large) and also carry a C02 whenever speed is an issue (club ride, for example). Also, I always carry 2 spare inner tubes (if you ride over glass with the front tyre...the rear is likely to follow! Sticky patches for emergencies. Then again, I do some longer riders and need to be as self sufficient as poss.

Or use the one you've just taken off to replace!
  • smoggysteve
    If you do take a CO2 canister make sure that if you have removable cores they are done up tight or the pump can have a habit of unscrewing them. So, when you come to take the canister off the valve core comes with it. I think it's possibly because of the cold making the metal contract and loosens the thread.

Have seen it happen more than once to me and others.
  • Grifteruk
    Grifteruk Posts: 244
    IMO best of both worlds from a hybrid pump with CO2 and mini pump options. Cant remember the make of mine, but is no bigger than many mini pumps and gives me the choice depending on needs at the time.
  • Too Fast
    Too Fast Posts: 17
    I just bought this.....

http://www.tweekscycles.com/bike-access ... e-cfh-pump

It's not the cheapest on the market but it costs about the same as a taxi home from the furthest point of my regular cycle route.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Grifteruk wrote:
    IMO best of both worlds from a hybrid pump with CO2 and mini pump options. Cant remember the make of mine, but is no bigger than many mini pumps and gives me the choice depending on needs at the time.

That.

Bontrager Air Rush. Brilliant little pump with CO2 canister option.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Top peak pocket rocket, fits in jersey pocket sticks out a little bit, never failed and does both valves also
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    MacLeod113 wrote:
    I take a mini pump and CO2 cartridges also just in case. the cartridges cost less than a couple of quid each and I have used maybe 2 in the last year. I commute mainly and the last thing I want is to be late for work so the CO2 gives me piece of mind. if you shop around you can get a good deal on the inflator part too im sure.

Plus 1 for this advice.
  • DanDax1990
    I reckon I'm going to go for the Lezyne Pressure Drive.

Any links for where is best/cheapest to buy the cartridges?

Will I need 16g or 12g?

Cheers guys.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava