It's my anniversary.

littledove44
littledove44 Posts: 871
edited June 2014 in Road beginners
I started cycling a year ago today. Of course I rode a bike as a kid, and very occasionally in later years, but basically I used an engine to get myself from A to B as soon as it was legally possible. In my case that was age 17, so I have spent 40 years doing my bit for global warming.

Over the last year I have pedalled a lot, and learnt a little less, but I thought it might be interesting to see how this compares to others. I have gone from being a complete newbie, to someone that now knows just a little bit more than nothing.

Here's my years education.

How much?
219 rides, so about 4 times a week. Basically every other day.
308 hours, so average ride time 1 hour 25 minutes.
7115km so average distance 32.5km
That makes an average speed of about 23kph
Climbed just under 70,000m
Longest ride 140km, biggest single continuous climb gained about 600m.

Cycling hurts.
When I started everything was painful. Breathing, pedalling, sitting, and recovering. The only thing that hurt less was going downhill so I tried to do more of that. This was achieved by starting at the top of a hill rolling to the bottom and phoning my wife with the car and bike rack. I now plan my rides around what hills I am going to climb. I also choose how fast to go up them, so the amount of suffering is optional. I am not fast uphill, but I can see steady speed improvements every month. Unfortunately this means I keep the effort up.

The pain doesn't go away. It's just different.
It's no longer the sharp pains from muscles that have been rudely awakened, it's now the bigger aches from overworked legs and lungs. Easier to deal with I think.

Flat or uphill is better than downhill.
Yes, I like the scenery and looking around etc., but I am a bit of a wuss and dislike fast descending. The horrifying thought of sliding along the road in my shorts keeps me from trying to set any downhill records. I also know that I am not getting fitter going downhill, so for me it seems a big of a waste of time, apart from recovering.

Riding with fitter and faster riders makes you fitter and faster.
I thought I was very adventurous on my local route selection till the guys at the LBS invited me out for "a gentle local poodle around the lanes". This turned out to be an attempt of every hill within 30km of the house that I had previously avoided. They were nice enough to wait for me at the top of each one though. We have now formed a local riding club and go out once or twice a week in a group of about six riders. I am still the slowest, but not by much and occasionally the old dog surprises them up a hill. Having someone in front to catch up switches my focus from "should I try a little harder" to "I must try a little harder". And, as the guy in front chooses the route I can no longer avoid big hills.

I am OCD with a small "O"
I like fiddling with the bike, cleaning the bike, changing components on the bike, changing components on the bike back again..... But I am not really fussed if my bar tape looks a little wonky or my clothes don't match.

Data is good.
I am really glad I recorded every single ride on Strava. At first I hardly looked at the stuff afterwards, but now I find being able to go back and check my progress is motivational. I bought a heart rate monitor about six months ago. Wish I had it from the beginning.

I now use Strava, veloviewer, training peaks, garmin connect, trainer road and mapmyride. Fortunately you only have to enter the data once!

Anyone who says "I will never wear Lycra" is delusional.
It only took me a dozen rides to realise that the horror I was inflicting on others having to look at me was was less than the discomfort I was inflicting upon myself.

By the best frame you can afford.
Beginners do not know what they want or need and the people in bike drops are only a little better off. They can tell you what is popular, but they do not know how you will develop as a rider. When this happens it's easy to change wheels, saddles, bars etc, but a new fame is like starting again.

Progress has slowed.
I think that to see a lot more improvement I will need to lose significant amounts of weight (perhaps 10%) and be a bit more structured about my time on the bike.

Closed road events are fun and feel so much safer.
I am going to actively seek them out. We did the Cape Argus and if was by far the most fun I have ever had on two wheels.

I need another bike.
No explanation required!

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Great work.

The only bad thing I found about returning to cycling later in life (I took a 16 year break, so not as long as yours) is I do have regrets of stopping something I truly loved and is good for you to indulge in lifestyle choices that seem a great idea at the time, but are certainly not good for you.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Good read. Keep it up! In the coming years you'll get faster and stronger :)
  • Good read ! My recent story follows yours closely.

However, today is my wedding anniversary, so I better get off here and share dinner with Mrs Hector :oops:
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • bikerMau5
    bikerMau5 Posts: 32
    Great post, I collect my first bike (Boardman Road Sport 2014, extremely excited) on Thursday. I'm itching to get out there, found this read to be very inspirational, thanks!
  • littledove44
    littledove44 Posts: 871
    bikerMau5 wrote:
    Great post, I collect my first bike (Boardman Road Sport 2014, extremely excited) on Thursday. I'm itching to get out there, found this read to be very inspirational, thanks!
    Thanks, and Congrats! I am sure you will love it.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    littledove - I'm 11 months into my first year and loving it all too. My first ride of 4.5miles nearly killed me, now I very rarely cycle less than 15miles and at the moment I'm doing 100-150miles a week.

Just one thing in your list - downhills. Until recently, I totally hated downhills but I'm learning to love them more and more now. First advice, get some decent brakes. I don't know what bike or brakes you've got, but if like me, you're riding with the stock brakes that came with the bike, they probably aren't that great. I had been used to hydraulic disc brakes on my MTB so basic rim brakes were nowhere near as effective. I've recently swapped to swisstop brake blocks and the difference is incredible - knowing that you're actually going to slow down when you apply the brakes going downhill definitely gives you more confidence! Secondly, just keep doing it - you'll get more confident by just keeping doing it again and again - I used to be doing about 25mph downhill and getting worried, now I'm happy doing 35mph+ - its all about confidence. The fear will subside and you'll get to love it too (almost as much as grinding up a 15%er!! :wink: )
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"