Best piece of advice?

tangled_metal
tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
edited June 2014 in Commuting chat
What piece of advice would you give to your past self when you started cycle commuting? Imagine time travel was possible, what piece of kit or technique would you advise yourself to buy or learn?

I'm curious to hear what people have learnt, possibly hard won information such as how to navigate the mean streets of Big City safely. Or reflectives are your friend. Or you can never have too many lights. Whatever it is there's someone on here who is starting their commuting life and yet to learn it all.

My advice is not to give up when it rains. I've tried to get into cycle commuting before but rain stopped play for me. Now I've learnt rain, wind, thunder and lightning aren't that bad if you're already out in it. That and you can wear full waterproofs on a bike. Means I'll keep it up now. Last time it rained for about 3-4 weeks and I got out of the bike habit.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    It's not about the bike.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Mark__gti
    Mark__gti Posts: 177
    It's all about the bike
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Don't hug the kerb and don't buy Altura kit because it's rubbish and falls apart.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Read this forum. Listen to what people say. Ignore what people say. Make it up as you go along and don't worry about it.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Sometimes the most uncool kit is the best kit - trouser clips and kick stand particularly.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Assume you are invisible and everyone else on the road is a clueless f*ckwit.
  • The mints in the urinal aren't as tasty as they look.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    A man with two watches never knows the right time.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Train slow => Race slow

If you're only riding two hours a day, the symptoms of "overtraining" can often be resolved with a dose of MTFU
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • XCMark
    XCMark Posts: 55
    Get a set of full mudguards, a rack and pannier and a hub dynamo with a decent light from B&M or similar.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    You are safest when your speed is as close as possible to that of the traffic around you, whether fast or slow.

And learn to recognise those tell-tale signs that signal when a car is about to do something without indicating.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Buy a cotton cap and a pari of toe covers. If you really want to go big, get mud guards, you'll never look back.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • Kurako wrote:
    Came in to say this...

And never buy a bike because it is cheap or because it looks nice - buy it because it feels right.
    My first two bikes were shite - one was because it was cheap and the other because it looked nice.
    The cheap one fell to bits within a year, the 'nice' bike had an uninspiring ride.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Kurako wrote:

+1

Keep your wits about you - nobody else is looking out for you (peds included)
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Realise early on that a bike is the simplest bit of technology known to man and can be kept in pretty usable state with a couple of Allen Keys & a screwdriver.

Also don't pretend to ride to work instead taking a detour to a ladyfriend's house without being sure that your wife's best friend doesn't also drive to work that same direction at about the same time. My old chum Colin would have been well-advised to have been aware of that bit of guidance.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768
    CiB wrote:
    Realise early on that a bike is the simplest bit of technology known to man and can be kept in pretty usable state with a couple of Allen Keys & a screwdriver.

Also don't pretend to ride to work instead taking a detour to a ladyfriend's house without being sure that your wife's best friend doesn't also drive to work that same direction at about the same time. My old chum Colin would have been well-advised to have been aware of that bit of guidance.
    Get a few helmets, various glasses, jerseys and a very good reason for N+1.
    I often do not recognise clubmates in the passing out on the bike or when in civvies.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Lycra is just polyester on an ego trip. Think "what would I pay for polyester shorts/shirts/socks" before deciding to buy.

When tempted by cycle specific clothes think "are my current clothes suitable for sitting in/moving my arms and legs in"
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Go Zen.

Whenever anything bad happens, just let it go.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    If riding in London, ride assertively but politely and claim your space.
    Owning a hybrid is useless.
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    Your body is mostly water. It really doesn't matter if you get wet.
  • Louise_W
    Louise_W Posts: 1
    Invest in trouser clips! Also separate cycle paths are a blessing-plan your commute using them where possible.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Drive, it's safer.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Medders
    Medders Posts: 152
    a shoulder check is not just great for checking what is around generally but it is invaluable for controlling the behaviour of driver approaching from behind. Use frequently.

Riding:
    Canyon Nerve AL9.9 2014
    Honda CBR600f 2013
    Condor Fratello 2010
    Cervelo RS 2009
    Specialized Rockhopper Pro 2008
  • If motivated to physically harm someone or commit murder and don't like the idea of jail time, an extended driving ban or a decent fine, make sure your victim is on a bike and you hit them with a car
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    don't go up the inside of heavy vehicles
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Buy the best you can afford. It will work the best and last the longest. Don't listen to people who say "it's only commuting" - done properly, it's about 10 hours of your life per week.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Medders wrote:
    a shoulder check is not just great for checking what is around generally but it is invaluable for controlling the behaviour of driver approaching from behind. Use frequently.
    This. Very much this.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,629
    Don't wear pants under those.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    if someone cuts you up or does something stupid, don't get angry....blow them a kiss