Virgin Cyclone 2014

bigmul
bigmul Posts: 208
Anyone else do the Cyclone yesterday?

I did ride C (the 104 mile) in 6:46 - was hoping for a silver but snapped a spoke on the drive side with about 7 milesto go and nursed it back....next year I'll get the silver! :-)

Comments

• I did the 104 as well. First time for me doing the longer one, as well as the first time doing the Cyclone for a couple of years after I vowed I would never do it again based on the chaos that ensues for the first 20 or 30 miles.

I really enjoyed it - was hard going, especially the hills between Otterburn and Bellingham. Few things I thought though

1) Didn't think the signage was very good. From being from the area I knew a lot of the roads, but the turnoff at Thropton confused me - I wasn't sure at one stage whether I was following the cyclone signs or heading to a caravan club!

2) Too much time spent on main road. Didn't enjoy the bits along the A696 or the A68 - there are plenty of small roads that could be used to avoid them.

3) Feed stations weren't great - or more specifically the lack of water. Elsdon was the worst, on a day as hot as Saturday to rely on local people to fill small jugs up from the tap is negligent I think. Wark wasn't much better and we just went through Stamfordham so can't comment on that.

4) Too little discipline on the road, especially at the start. The number of people I saw going the wrong way round the roundabout at Callerton and through the red lights at Ponteland was ridiculous. It's no surprise drivers get annoyed.

In my hiatus from the cyclone I've been doing the Wiggle Northern Angel, which is about a comparable cost and in every way (route, signage, feed stops) it is far superior. I think the cyclone is resting on its laurels somewhat - if it were a shoestring operation then I'd understand, but its the best part of £30 to do it!
  • Feed stations weren't great - or more specifically the lack of water. Elsdon was the worst, on a day as hot as Saturday to rely on local people to fill small jugs up from the tap is negligent I think.

The feed stations were all well stocked when I stopped, but I rode straight past Elsdon. Didn't even see it, and didn't want to turn back once I'd passed the village. Wark wasn't well signposted either, but at least there were people out on the road directing me in.

Other than that, I enjoyed it. Just scraped through for a silver.
  • bigmul
    bigmul Posts: 208
    Good job on the silver!

I only stopped at the 3rd feed station, it was the one down the alley whichever that one was!

Signage directing you on the routes wasn't as good as the Wooler Wheel, I did sometimes wonder if I was going the right direction. Overall though would do it again!