Scott Cr1 2013 upgrade to electronic

avababy24
avababy24 Posts: 162
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Currently running the 11 spd mechanical group on my Scott and I would like to fit the Shimano In line battery and supporting components. Has anyone ever tried this or is it just not do able ?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    You can fit the external version of di2 to *anything*. You just need to accept that the wiring will be visible. Use the EWC2 (or original EWC1 if you need grey) adhesive cable covers and it's not too bad at all. You will need the external battery, not the internal; unless you start drilling or happen to have convenient holes in your BB you won't be able to fit the internal battery.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Which frame is it exactly? Pro, Team, etc?
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Pokerface wrote:

Isn't there only two frames, HMF and HMX, and even then they only differ in the type of carbon used?
  • Pokerface wrote:

Isn't there only two frames, HMF and HMX, and even then they only differ in the type of carbon used?
    Yes
  • avababy24
    Sorry it's this one

Scott CR1 SL (HMX) Road Frame Set (2012

Regards
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That's the one I have. In view of it's lightness and the paper thin nature of some of the tubes I don't think I'd be happy drilling any holes in it, regardless of how carefully they were done.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I personally think Di2 would look daft selotaped to a CR1. If you want an upgrade than Dura Ace 9000 would be superb.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Short answer is no, the frame isn't designed for internal Di2.

Long answer is, if you're comfortable drilling a hole in the frame (probably on the top tube, behind the headset/fork), then it can be done.

You'd also need to drill into the rear chain stay to run cable to the rear mech, possibly another hole to the front mech.

External is easier and safer but won't look great.

I did something similar (internal routing) on a Cervelo frame that wasn't designed for it. But I don't recommend it.
  • avababy24
    Thanks for the replies. Think I'll put this idea to bed.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Go Red. Or 9000 as above. Or Super Record. I wouldn't go drilling holes in it.

All the above mechanicals are good enough for the pros so should meet with some of your requirements until you get a Di2 or equivalent compatible frame.

Alternatively, spend the money you were going to spend in the Di2 on a long training weekend in the Italian mountains. Salami, wine, stunning riding and women, more fitness. Job jobbed.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.