anyone put ultegra hollowtech on a cannondale

radiation man
radiation man Posts: 446
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
has anyone got a cannondale evo hi mod super six and put a ultegra hollowtech chainset on it, with a pf30bb and adaptor, does it still creak

Comments

• chanjy
    chanjy Posts: 200
    Is one thread not enough? (Impressed it's only 2 about the Cannondale so far tbh :p)

Will the retailer not advise you?
  • Creaking isn't the end of the world, unless you fall off and die.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    chanjy wrote:
    Is one thread not enough? (Impressed it's only 2 about the Cannondale so far tbh :p)

Will the retailer not advise you?

Haven't you heard? Cannondale is the new Colnago CLX ;)
  • thought this forum was for advise guess not, if anyone buys a bike and the new bottom bracket creaks then it would go back for a full refund, knowone would buy something new and be told sorry about the creak but you will just have to put up with it? posting.php?mode=reply&f=40042&t=12973379#
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Full refund? Catch yerself on. Maybe a quick re-grease. BB30 issues are greatly overstated and pretty easy to resolve.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    FBB30 issues are greatly overstated and pretty easy to resolve.

Are they. I was on the Etape de Yorkshire with a group from my club. Four had Cannondales. Two of those sounded like metronomes - clack, clack, clack, clack, clack, clack every pedal revoloution etc etc etc. Coincidence maybe but there's a lot of people out there who aren't managing to resolve their BB30 issues.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MisterMuncher
    I can only draw on my own experience, and I'm reluctant to put anecdote above data, but I've a good 7 or 8 thousand miles between two BB30 bikes with no pressing issues. Certainly haven't given any more bother than any Hollowtech/MegaExo/GXP BB's I've used in the past. BB30 does require a bit of care in the fitting and the odd spot of grease, but it's not the anchor it's frequently portrayed as. Sometimes, yes, you get the combination of bearings and shells out at the opposite limits of tolerances, which is a pain in the bum, but it can and does happen with components of all types.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    chanjy wrote:

BB30 doesn't have threads while the hollowtech bsa bb has two.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Rolf F wrote:
    FBB30 issues are greatly overstated and pretty easy to resolve.

Are they. I was on the Etape de Yorkshire with a group from my club. Four had Cannondales. Two of those sounded like metronomes - clack, clack, clack, clack, clack, clack every pedal revoloution etc etc etc. Coincidence maybe but there's a lot of people out there who aren't managing to resolve their BB30 issues.

Got a few thousand miles on my original BB30... never heard a creak from there.

A lot of creaks could be due the seat, wheels, etc, not necessarily the BB. The BB on my Giant, threaded, is clicking again though, after only 2000 km :O
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Pretty sure Cannondale Cheaped out on the PF30 they put in their bikes. Mine went in 5 days 150 miles from new in a wet February. Binned it and had a SRAM one fitted now on 2200 creak free miles and been re-greased twice before any creak started. Non drive side seems to be the problem one and I think that is due ot it being more exposed
  • the frame i would be buying is £1500 bike shop said thay would fit fsa pfbb30 with adaptor for shimano hollowtech 24mm, but what if it creaks when i have built it up, cant understand why 68mm bearings where changed for the bb30s, as i have not had creaking with shimano hollowtech bb
  • MisterMuncher
    Creaking isn't universal with BB30. When it works, which is most of the time, it allows a lighter, stiffer setup than outboard bearings. Heaven forbid anyone might attempt an innovation. I doubt the FSA adaptor will creak, it comes with loctite for installation, and having removed one that had been correctly installed, it's in there for the long haul. Still strikes me as solving a problem that you probably won't have.
  • but surely loctite is like superglue and must be hard to remove, and could also cancel the frame warranty
  • MisterMuncher
    Other adaptors are available. From memory the FSA adaptor is considered permanent with regard to warranty on carbon frames. Removal will invalidate your warranty. Praxis works adaptor is easily removable.

But in all fairness, if you're dead against BB30, for whatever reason, why in the name of all that's holy are you going for a BB30 frame, that makes big play out of its bb30, made by the company that brought BB30 to the market? It's like really wanting a Porsche 911, but only if you can get someone to move the engine to the front.
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    I'm not sure which FSA adaptor you guys are discussing, but I have a pair of FSA 24mm reducer cups for BB30 which I don't need. Could sell you them if needed. :D
  • i like the frame but not the bb30
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    i like the frame but not the bb30

If you're not keen on BB30, then considering a BB30 frame is probably not the best way forward...
  • MisterMuncher
    http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/praxi ... h5u1fD_BwE

50 quid. Screws in, screws out. Is apparently great. Problem solved. If indeed there ever was a problem with a hypothetical creaking BB on an entirely theoretical bike.

/wanders off mumbling about confirmation bias and the inability of people to properly weight volumes of negative and positive comments about anything online.
  • spekky
    spekky Posts: 16
    Similar problem for me. I wanted to convert my Roubaix from OSBB to hollowtech and went with the Praxis converter after reading
    http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/drive ... 79crx.aspx

(which gave 5 stars for the cannondale conversion).

Worked perfectly.