Giant Reign X2 vs Specialized Enduro vs Rocky Mountain

stevekoz
stevekoz Posts: 103
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

I've been in the market for a new full susser for a few weeks.

I'll get it out the way now, i'm a Clyde, and i don't mind getting it out there and hitting trails hard, so i'm after an all mountain rig that will cope with my weight, for trails, xc, downhill etc.

I was in the market for a brand new bike, but alas, car issues has slashed my budget. So im now in the 2nd hand market.

I've seen a few bikes. The best of the picks are -

Giant Reign X2
Specialized Enduro Expert SL
Rocky Mountain Flatline

All seem to have the set up im looking for, burly, all mountain, long travel.

Wondered if anyone had any offerings of opinion, experience etc.

Cheers
Steve

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    The Flatline is a DH bike - I dont think you would want to ride it up anything.

Reign and Enduro are comparable and capable bikes - pick the one with the best spec and price.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Reign X is not very good. I had one for a year and didn't like it.
    The rear suspension has a rubbish linkage ratio so you end up with a ridiculously heavy spring (650lb for 15 stone rider!) which means no sensitivity in the rear suspension which gives a harsh ride and dampers which can't control the spring.
    The bottom link on the rear suspension is really fragile, I broke three in a year. They cost £120 to replace and take weeks to get because they are only stocked in Belgium.
    Enduros are good as long as they don't have the dual crown Specialized fork.
  • stevekoz
    Not read about that before. Good to know. Thanks.

How about the normal Reign over the Reign X, seems more of a trail orientated bike as opposed to the heavier and longer travel more fr of the Reign X. Or is that just the same?
  • rockmonkeysc
    The standard Reign is actually a lot better. Nice bike.
  • stevekoz
    Cheers. just spotted an older one but nice spec and some money to upgrade the older bits like brakes. I'm going to see if i can get it!.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I wouldn't go older than 2010. The earlier ones weigh as much as a cow.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Personally I'd go for the Enduro over the Reign, but either would be a decent depending on condition, components, price etc.

As RM says, don't bother with anything older then 2010, for either brand.

Have a look on Pinkbike classifieds too if eBay isn't showing much of interest.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    Might be worth looking at the Nukeproof Mega as well. They're really good and can be found for a reasonable price.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Might be worth looking at the Nukeproof Mega as well. They're really good and can be found for a reasonable price.

Shhhhh! We're not supposed to be encouraging the purchase of any more Megas, there's already too many of them on the trails! So yeah, Megas are utter shite... avoid like the plague :lol:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    CitizenLee wrote:

Shhhhh! We're not supposed to be encouraging the purchase of any more Megas, there's already too many of them on the trails! So yeah, Megas are utter shite... avoid like the plague :lol:

Used is ok. It's just moving bikes around, not encouraging new ones.
  • dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    Always the Enduro.
    Probably the best AM bike out there for the money.

I have one, my wife has one. I will replace mine with another... If she wants another she'll have to save up

Not considering the YT Capra?
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Enduro is very good but I prefer the Reign. It pedals better and feels a little more stable when pushed hard.
    The Reign was never as popular as it should have been.
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    I have the Reign 2 2013 and love it,Just took it down Ben Lomond at the weekend and it was more than capable,probably would have done even better with a better rider on it,
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • stevekoz
    Well i bought a reign 2, it was a large i was told, but for me came up small, so i've sold that and i'm back in the market.

Again, appearing to be looking at the 2007-2009 and these are the bikes im looking at -

Santa Cruz Heckler
    Specialized Enduro
    Marin Wolf Ridge
    Giant (if i can find one that fits)
    Kona Coilair

Any other suggestions of what might fit in a £700 budget full susser with long travel and a do it all bike would be appreciated. Anyone who has one for sale would be even better lol!

cheers all