My 2014 Hardrock SE :)

thebatfink
thebatfink Posts: 25
edited June 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Brought it a couple of months ago to finally retire my full sus 'antique' K2 Proflex 4000 http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12973371 for a hard tail. My head fell off as soon as I got home with it and now the only things left stock are the seat post, headset and forks (hopefully have some Rockshox on soon!).

5dfc4c80-cdb1-4f69-ab78-11ca7564ccfd.jpg

20871c0d-f0a2-4de2-9b27-e6998eeade51.jpg

2d8999b0-a5de-4d46-a6d1-d938ff9fe8ce.jpg

756c880f-79d1-4ea9-a6c1-55044212a3c7.jpg

Frame: 2014 Specialized Hardrock SE
Forks: Suntour XCT
Bars: Nukeproof Warhead
Stem: Thompson X4 Elite
Headset: Stock
Grips: Lizard Skins Peaty
Bar Ends: iXS / X-Lite
Brake Levers: Shimano XT
Calipers: Shimano XT
Discs: Shimano Ice-Tech
Shifters: 10/3 Speed Shimano XT
Front Mech: Shimano XT 3 Speed
Rear Mech: Shimano XT SGS 10 Speed
Cranks: Shimano XT
Chainring(s): Shimano XT 3 Speed
Chain: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano XT 10 Speed
Pedals: Saint
Bottom Bracket: Hollowtech II
Rims: Stans No Tubes ZTR Crests
Hubs: American Classics
Tires: Schwalbe Rocket Rons

Weight: Not weighed in yet!

Other info: Ant+ speed, cadence and heart rate sensors so I can see close to having a heart attack I'm at when climbing :)

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Looks decent - new forks would improve it immeasurably though!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • thebatfink
    Yeah think it's going to be Reba's, but can;t make my mind up on black or white..
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Next after the forks will be upgrading to a good frame.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Reba's are good adjustable forks but you know red bikes always go faster ;)
  • thebatfink
    Good frame in terms of what. I know it's a cheap frame which is why I brought it, wanted to try out a hard tail again but it does feel quite nice to ride with the upgrades. What could I expect from a 'good frame'? Lighter or actually feels different to ride in some way?
  • ilovedirt
    Both. Depends what you want out of a new frame to be honest. Some will climb better, some will descend better etc etc.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    You really ought to have changed the fork first - you'd find that the other components became a lot more satisfactory when you did that, and you might not have changed so much! On my 2012 Hardrock, I changed . . .
    Bars and stem - Shorter stem, 31.8mm bar to go with it
    Brake levers, in an attempt to get the brakes working consistently
    Fork - Recon Gold, black goes very well with red. It was now the bike it should always have been.
    Brakes - Deores, in a successful attempt to get the brakes working consistently

Then I swapped the whole thing for my home built Scandal.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • thebatfink
    Well at this point I may as well just dumped £1200 on a whole bike to start with. Its so much easier to part with money when its a bit here and a bit there! But hey ho, least the bits are there to transplant later, I'll think the build through a bit more next time. It will be good as a cast down for the missus to ride if nothing else :) Hopefully the Rebas will be here and fitted for the weekend. Never rode rockshox!
  • ilovedirt
    Don't worry about it mate, that's all part of being a mtber as I'm sure you know! Besides, it's more fun speccing stuff out yourself. When it comes down to it, you can have exactly the frame you want, with exactly the kit you want :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5