Nipple washers on carbon rims?

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Apologies for the fnar-laden subject. Just assembling parts for my first carbon rim build and wondering whether I need to use washers with the nipples?

They are Farsports 50mm rims (alloy brake track), CX Ray spokes, and 14mm alu nips (I know! Will I never learn!).

It only just occurred to me that I might need washers and have already ordered spokes (calc'd without any washer considerations) so am really hoping that someone with more experience of this situation can tell me it'll all be OK ;-)

Edit: spokes from the UK (for a change) so they *could* go back if really needed.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    It's a good idea to use them if the rim bed holes are big enough for them and if you have the right ones (Sapim oval). With 14 mm nipples you can probably get away with the same spoke length. Thing is, once you start, it is difficult to go back, as getting those things out of the rim is a bit of a job. Once it took me the best part of an afternoon to remove the washers from a Zipp 303 rim... such fun... :?
    left the forum March 2023
  • munkster
    And if I didn't use them...?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I didn't use them in the set I built recently

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... -now-built

Nobody died as a consequence... (yet) :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • munkster
    Cool. I too am having trouble detecting any sort of offset, but think they might be Type 1 if anything (using Musson's definitions)...