2005/2006 Rockshox 302 U-Turn Fork

beski
beski Posts: 542
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got a 2005/2006 Rockshox 302 U-Turn Fork, yesterday the adjuster knob for the U-Turn mechanism cracked and now i can't adjust the travel. I've found a replacement on t'internet, which I will order once I can confirm it's compatibility. Will it be ok to ride the bike as it is, or is there a chance that through use the cap/knob will break completely and cause me more problems?

Thanks in advance...
Giant Defy 4 2014
GT Avalanche Expert 2006
Specialized Hardrock 1989

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They have a habit of doing this. You can still adjust it with the allen bolt under, but the travel can self adjust sometimes. It's ok to ride - but best off getting a new cap, springs and detent balls (though you should still have those).
  • beski
    Thanks Super, I thought it would be ok, just had visions of the U-Turn spring etc coming out if the cap/knob totally split. I've seen a replacement & I've e-mailed to check compatibility, waiting for a reply before I commit. Been out on the road bike today instead, thought I'd wait to check if it would be ok. The fork is stuck at about 90mm so is probably at it's best (or near to) for all types of riding.
    I've not done too bad out of it, it's 8 years old now & I've done over 4,000 miles, so I've fared better than others that I've read about. As you say the plastic cap/knob seems an inherent weak point.
    Is it much of a faff replacing it?
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is just a cap really, to turn the bolt under. The spring is sealed in with a 24mm bolt under all that. easy to do, I ran mine for a while without the adjuster though, seemed fine. You should be able to see the (3mm?) allen bolt which is the adjuster.
  • beski
    There's an allen bolt in the centre of the cap but tightening or loosening that didn't do much apart from stopping the rotation of the switch when it was tightened.
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006