Dura ace freewheel removal

team47b
team47b Posts: 6,425
edited July 2014 in Workshop
I can see that I need a two prong removal tool, where can I get a dura ace one?

The sun tour two prong tools are too big to fit the slots.

imagejpg2.jpg
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Comments

• team47b
    I popped over to retro bike, they all knew what was needed and someone, very kindly, is sending me one to use :D
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Props to retro bike - cool stuff.

I trust that you'll be sending a big bar of choccie over when you send it back?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Ooh, that's proper old-skool; 5 speed, and look at the size of the teeth on them!
  • team47b
    13-21 and an anchor chain runs fine :D
  • team47b
    Props to retro bike - cool stuff.

I trust that you'll be sending a big bar of choccie over when you send it back?

Products of Portugal are in order :D
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    For anyone who is not familiar with removing a 'screw-on' freewheel.

1) put the FW remover tool on the FW, and then tighten the quick release to hold the tool in place. Don't make the quick release tight, but leave a little looseness so the FW can unscrew about 1 mm.
    2) Get a BIG wrench that fits onto the FW tool.
    3) Brace the inflated wheel against a sturdy step or wall so you can press HARD downwards on the wrench and have the FW unscrew counter-clockwise.
    4) With enough pressure on the wrench, the FW will 'pop loose', then you release the quick release and continue to unscrew by hand.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • team47b
    Or you can put the removal tool in a vice face up, insert wheel with tyre on freewheel down onto tool, press down and turn the wheel anti clockwise with a jolt.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I always use the bench vice or a workmate to hold the tool, then turn the wheel anticlockwise. Helps with grip if the inflated tyre is left on the wheel. Feels a bit like turning left driving a truck.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Why are you changing a 13-21T is more than I have on my alan 13-18T with a 44T inner - hills are interesting. If you don't want it send it to me.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • team47b
    The rims, the hubs, the freewheel are all going, but not because of the number of teeth :D

The hubs are interesting too, RFG Theforez, high flange, 120mm, made by the Maxi car maker Rousson et Chamoux.
  • team47b
    Dura Ace removal tool turned up in the post, put it on to check fit, put an old MTB skewer in to hold it, put the adjustable wrench on, lent on it a bit and it came undone - job done :D

Went to the local market this morning to buy a gift to send back with the removal tool.

Now I can sell the freewheel and the hubs to part fund some spare clincher wheels that I want for the Imholz, seen here having a day out at the seaside

bikeatthebeach.jpg