Flat bar road bike

Shaggy1
Shaggy1 Posts: 15
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi I know it's another what bike post but

Anybody have any suggestions on decent sports hybrid for between 600-1000 range.

Have looked at the boardman hybrid team at 749 but really want something lighter with compact 105 group set or equivalent not bothered about disc brakes.

Bassically I want a road bike with flat bar, I don't want to build one myself , I have 2 drop handled sportive type bikes and a tourer.

Comments

• string78
    string78 Posts: 59
    Any particular reason for wanting a flat bar?

I bought a Scott Speedster s50 flat bar 3 years ago as I didn't think I would get on with dropped bars. Rode it that summer and was really impressed with it, certainly not a sluggish bike for the money. Soon realised I should have gone down the dropped bar route and ended up buying a new bike. The Scott has hardly been used since...
  • Shaggy1
    I really just like having the option, and I can afford it
  • string78
    string78 Posts: 59
    If that's the case then I'd give the Speedster a thumbs up, more in the region of £500 but the groupset wont be anything to get excited about but plenty left in your budget to upgrade if need be.
  • Shaggy1
    Just looked but don't want a triple, like its looks tho thanks
  • vneilv
    vneilv Posts: 98
    What about one of the Cannondale Quick models?
  • Shaggy1
    Have looked can only see triples, I want compact 2 x 10
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I can highly recommend my Bike which started life as a flat bar and is equally competent now converted to drops. Moda Chord. The later versions have Microshift shifters which are supposed to be good but mine came with Sram Apex and some of these are still available for around £6-700 if you look around. The American Classic wheels are superb and worth £350 on their own. The bike was really well put together and has been faultless except for a bit of bother with the front derailleur which is now swapped with an Ultegra which works fine with the Rival shifters I now have with the drops. Worth a look I reckon!
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Shaggy1
    Thanks guys for your responses , I must admit I like the Planet X plus it's available in matt black which matches my other bikes. Also it does not have the tiagra cranks which I think look horrid. But again many thanks
  • stannie
    stannie Posts: 167
    Cannondale Quick SL2
    I have the SL3 (triple) which is fantastic, but you can get a compact on the SL2 but it is is 9 speed.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-Quic ... _66058.htm
    Or the SL 1 which is 10 speed
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... e-ec054399
    ....................................................................................................
    Waterford RS-14
    Trek Domane SL6
    Ridley Noah SL

A woman can never have too many bikes!
  • Shaggy1
    Thanks must admit I missed the SL 1 and 2 like both of those, but still edging towards the Planet X thanks for the info guys most helpful