Fox fork

divingmoose
divingmoose Posts: 540
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys
People with Fox forks, how religious are you with servicing and what are the guidelines re servicing.
Just bought some fox 32 factory with Kashima coating and fit upgrade. Just wondering what you recommend

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I recomend you sell them and buying somthing else :lol:

if you don't service according to the schedual then you'll void the warranty
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    POAH wrote:
    I recomend you sell them and buying somthing else :lol:

I think servicing schedule for Fox is a complete strip down and new seals every 2 miles or 30 minutes. Or does it just feel like that. :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I just serviced mine mid ride.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't use them, just service them between services.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Lower leg service every 30 hours.

In that respect they're no different to anything else then.

FFS four replys and not one of you has anything usefull to add, no wonder this forums gone down the pan.:roll:
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    Lower leg service every 30 hours.

In that respect they're no different to anything else then.

FFS four replys and not one of you has anything usefull to add, no wonder this forums gone down the pan.:roll:

yes but they are quite short intervils
  • stubs
    Dirtydog11 wrote:

You have had useful advice sell the Fox crap and buy something that will last longer than an ice cream.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Guy just wants to know what the service intervals are
    stubs wrote:
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    You have had useful advice sell the Fox crap and buy something that will last longer than an ice cream.

Case in point!
  • stubs
    OK I cant be bothered googling it but it used to be lower leg service every 25 hours or less if conditions were bad. Thats a service every 6 rides or so or about once every 3 weeks. A full service every 100 hours thats a full service that costs about £80 to £100 every 3 months. After every ride lube the seals with Fox oil (which is actually pretty good advice).

Fox in my opinion have churned out some way overpriced, unreliable, bendy crap recently and rely on the Fox fanbois to keep the faith.

edit: I still think Fox rear shocks are the best out there and no one is close yet.
  • divingmoose
    Thanks guys I think. This forum is just like a scuba diving one I use in that you ask a question and usual response is, " that piece of kit is shit you should by this instead blah blah blah " I appreciate some people may think they are shite but let's be right we know they aren't. I sometimes wonder if some of the people on here spend a lot of time riding on trails all alone because they surely can't have many friends other than their trusty right hand.
    But anyway thanks again
  • gazman428
    gazman428 Posts: 111
    I wait till the seals start weeping and then rebuild em myself. Usually about once a yr
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    cyd190468 wrote:
    I must admit I do find the Fox hate on this forum a bit intriguing as it seems to be a very British thing. Other than the loveit/hateit thing with CTD you hardly find a bad review of a fox fork outside Britain.

They're 'hated' in Sweden too, for exactly the same reasons.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    I don't hate them

I love my 36s

I love tinkering with the bike, so short service intervals suits me fine
  • fizik
    fizik Posts: 247
    I change the oil bath one every 3 months or so through winter, and dust wiper seals and foam rings every 6 months, that said I have had numerous sets of foxes some a year or two without services and never had a problem. My newest ones are 2010 36's though, perhaps from a time when they were more reliable. I dont understand the mad fox hate on this forum though. Mind I'd never buy new forks so I never need to worry about warranty :lol:
  • I have had a few sets of fox with no problems what so ever. I have steered of the CTD stuff mind.
    Personally I also like tinkering with my bike so didn't mind the short service intervals.
    I used to make sure I cleaned the stations and seals after every ride and lubed the seals up then did a strip down roughly every 30 hours of riding in the winter and every 50/60 hours in the summer. I only bothered to replace the seals and wipers if I thought they needed it when I had the fork apart. on average I probably got through 3 sets of seals a year. Also I never sent them off for a full strip down unless I noticed a performance difference as I checked the bushings when I had them apart. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
    Is this more what you were looking for?
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Stanchion wear is a major issue, it does depend how you ride and what you ride on but one chap I know (not known for mechanical sympathy or servicing I must say) had silver marks on the stanchions after 3 months use. His previous Manitous had been fine for about 5 years, his subsequent RS are fine 12 months after he fitted them.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • divingmoose
    Cheers guys that's more like the info I wanted
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    cyd190468 wrote:
    warpcow wrote:
    cyd190468 wrote:
    I must admit I do find the Fox hate on this forum a bit intriguing as it seems to be a very British thing. Other than the loveit/hateit thing with CTD you hardly find a bad review of a fox fork outside Britain.

They're 'hated' in Sweden too, for exactly the same reasons.
    I'm not sure I get the reasons. I've got two Fox forks and have never had a problem and the majority of the guys I ride with have them as well. The only failure I'm aware of is a damper failure on a mates Teocali last year. But the bike was a 2007 model and he'd never had the fork serviced.

Over here there were a lot of Fox forks on 'beginner' XC bikes, which also happen to sell most too. With the recall of certain Fox forks last year a lot of people, especially beginners, were left with a bad taste for what they had thought/had read was a quality product. More experienced MTBers tend to dislike them because of the overly linear, under-damped qualities they've moved toward in the last couple of years. It should be noted that MTBing isn't that big in Sweden when compared to other countries at the moment, so a small number of people with problems can represent a relatively large proportion of users.