Wobbly Tyre - Wheel is true?!

iLukeKendall
iLukeKendall Posts: 160
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I've got an ongoing issue with a wobbly tyre, although the rim is perfectly true.

The tyres are Continental X King 29 x 2.2" ProTection BlackChilli, running with Continental Tubes on Stans NoTubes ZTR Arch EX 29er rims.

It started a few weeks back after getting a puncture. After replacing the tube, I struggled a ridiculous amount to get the tyre back on using tyre levers, having to use a large amount of leverage. After getting it back on, I noticed it was very wobbly, as can be seen in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz1pfNx5fTU

I removed the tyre and realised I'd mashed the original rim tape with the levers, and after trying to mount again and having the same issue, I purchased some new rim tape - the only stuff my local bike shop had in stock was Velox, which was great stuff, but according to Stans it's too thick to use with their rims, and I did find it was causing problems interfering with the 'bench/step' of the rim. I followed a YouTube guide which showed me how to refit a tight tyre without levers and this method without levers has been working fine since to get the tyre on.

I've since bought the proper Stans yellow rim tape, which I applied today, in the hope the thinner tape would solve the problem, but annoyingly the wobble continues.

What else could be causing this? The only conclusion I can come to is that I've damaged/stretched the tyre when trying to lever it on with levers initially? Is this a possibility? The tyres are folding bead.
Whyte 29-CS • Canyon Ultimate • #CCWMTB • Strava Profile

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Double check the seating but in practice I'd doubt it'd make any difference
  • iLukeKendall
    I've checked the seating - it's even all the way around on both sides (the visibile part of the tyre with no pattern to indicate seating even-ness).

Is it possible I could have stretched the bead when trying to force it on with levers?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Got same on bontrager xr4 . In practice it doesn't affect riding .
  • iLukeKendall
    Got same on bontrager xr4 . In practice it doesn't affect riding .

Hmm, mine definitely affects riding - the front wheel ends up wobbling all over the place. I can't have any confidence in attacking corners at speed because the front end is so unpredictable.
  • Just watched your clip , mines nowhere near as
    bad
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Bit of a long shot here, but when I had a similar wobble on my road bike, it was caused by the tyre warping where the thicker rubber of the valve stem was. It had been about 18 months since I had to fix a flat, and when I did I put the tyre back on, I put it on 180 degrees from where it was.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    I had a similar issue with the 26" version of that tyre - although running with tubes as you are, I used a similar method to tubeless - ie soapy water around the bead of the tyre then pumped it up to a much higher pressure than you would ride at (around 80 -100 psi iirc). That made sure the tyre was 100% seated correctly which it looked like it was but evidently wasn't as after that it was fine. Might be worth a try
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Same deal with my front Hans Dampf (rear is ok). I just put it down to the fact they're folded and left sitting in a warehouse / stockroom for so long. Fortunately it's not noticeable when riding.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    You could try letting about 75% of the air out but leave the tyre on the wheel. Then have a good play with the tyre, really bend it back and forth (laterally) over each side of the wheel rim to try and get the bead seated a bit better in the rim. Then continue doing this as you re-inflate the tyre - slowly. I've experienced similar to this before and it's been because the tyre is slightly twisted on the wheel.

You shouldn't be able to stretch a kevlar bead that much to cause permanent deformation by using tyre levers. If you've ripped the Kevlar (doubtful) then the tyre is shot anyway as it's structural integrity has gone.
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09