Garmin Connect

leeefm
leeefm Posts: 260
edited June 2014 in Commuting chat
Anyone else seen the new Garmin Connect?

Some stuff doesn't seem to appear for me... Wondering if it was firefox or not
Shand Skinnymalinky
Argon 18 Radon

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    yes and it sucks almost as bad as the clunky old one
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    Doesn't seem to want me to see "segments"
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Garmin in shite coding/software shocker
    FCN = 4
  • itboffin
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    Garmin in shite coding/software shocker

you forgot slow
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yeah - my Garmin 1000 is packed up and ready to go back. Garmin seem to be getting worse and worse (impossible I'd thought)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    There's definately a few contenders for full featured websites and mobile apps

Strava is obv. coming on
    ridewithgps
    endomondo (excellent app)

what's missing in my opinion is general built in ant+ support from the major phone manufacturers (ex. Sony) once that's widespread then its just a case of battery life.

A mobile phone with a battery profile just for sports, turning off everything but the gps, ant+ and low brightness limited screens, weight is already not an issue my Nexus 5 is already featherlight.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    itboffin wrote:
    There's definitely a few contenders for full featured websites and mobile apps

Strava is obv. coming on
    ridewithgps
    endomondo (excellent app)

what's missing in my opinion is general built in ant+ support from the major phone manufacturers (ex. Sony) once that's widespread then its just a case of battery life.

A mobile phone with a battery profile just for sports, turning off everything but the gps, ant+ and low brightness limited screens, weight is already not an issue my Nexus 5 is already featherlight.

My S5 has ANT+ and an emergency mode which maximises battery life.

An app that combined these with a vibration based or bar mounted smart-watch guidance system so you don't need the screen would be great. Alternatively a battery, charged by a 1W hub dynamo with a USB output on the top cap would be a way to avoid battery life problems with smart phones.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • leeefm wrote:
    Doesn't seem to want me to see "segments"

You should explore them or create your own.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    The segment bits are shite. I have recently been given a vivofit though and the interface for that seems to be working quite well. It will be the usual garmin thing of full release beta testing that just about works by the end!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    An app that combined these with a vibration based or bar mounted smart-watch guidance system so you don't need the screen would be great.
    I have a suspicion that the coming iWatch will offer exactly this.
    Whether you will want to buy one, or wear one is another matter.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mpdouglas
    mpdouglas Posts: 220
    Yeah - my Garmin 1000 is packed up and ready to go back.

Exactly the same for one of the lads I cycled to Paris with. He's had it a couple of weeks and can stand it no more. It sounds like basic functionality simply doesn't work properly and it suffers from appalling battery life and intermittent phone connection.

I nearly pulled the trigger on one and now glad I didn't!
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I just a plug a 5000mAh battery into the USB slot. My phone was fully charged when I got home after the Notts sportive. I left everything switched on.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Is it the case you can't turn off or even stop the timer on the later Garmins (810, 1000)? I stopped the timer on my 800, plugged it in to a USB charger and turned it off over lunch to recharge it. Speaking to others who had 810s they said they couldn't stop the timer or turn the damn thing off mid ride. Seemed a bit unbelievable frankly.

My USB power pack is 15Ah, its a bit big to carry on the bike, but we had a support car. The Garmn 800 battey is 1Ah, say it lasts for 10 hours...that's 150 hours with my pack, nearly a weeks continuous cycling :wink:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I was on tour with someone who had an Edge Touring and I think whenever you stopped the timer it asked if you wanted to save or discard the ride. I am not sure if you HAD to chose one or whether you could have turned it off/on or restarted - the whole thing seemed even less intuitive than the 800 - which is really saying something...!
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    drlodge wrote:
    Is it the case you can't turn off or even stop the timer on the later Garmins (810, 1000)? I stopped the timer on my 800, plugged it in to a USB charger and turned it off over lunch to recharge it. Speaking to others who had 810s they said they couldn't stop the timer or turn the damn thing off mid ride. Seemed a bit unbelievable frankly.
    You can turn off the edge 810 midride. When you turn it back on it shows the save/discard screen but if you skip out if that and hit the start/stop button again it resumes recording the same ride.

Mike