Jura Mountains - Family hol

durhamwasp
durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
edited July 2014 in Tour & expedition
Anyone been to the Jura range and have any tips for a decent base for a family holiday, with a bit of cycling thrown in?

Been looking around Lac de Vouglans area, and we'll be going in the motorhome so staying on a campsite.

I know a lot of the higher climbs are further South, closer to Geneva, which I wouldn't rule out, tho I'm looking to do less km's of driving from Calais rather than more, but, if somebody knows somewhere outstanding, shout out!

Cheers
http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....

Comments

• rickwiggans
    rickwiggans Posts: 416
    Depends what the family want to do. Les Rousses has plenty of decent cycling round about, it's a reasonable sized town. A lake with boating and swimming, lots of good walks, an adventure park for kids in the old fort. Depending how long you want to stay , there are three Aires in the vicinity, one more or less in the centre of town

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • durhamwasp
    Nice one, sounds great - I will check it out
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • sancho_panza
    sancho_panza Posts: 183
    Second that for les Rousses area - to the south are the great Swiss passes of the Marchairuz and Mollendruz above Lake Geneva; then west you've got the col de la Faucille; and all around there are beautiful rolling roads through the forests. I often ride up there from where I live on Lake Geneva - it's a great place in the summer.

Les Rousses was a stage town on the 2009 Tour (I think that's the right year) and they've got a visible road cycling culture there. Recently some cycling road signs have appeared like you see in the Alps and I'm sure the Tourist Office will set you up with maps of recommended routes etc.

I'm sure wherever you go it'll be nice. There's also the Vosges further north with nice camping in places like Munster but not the lake swimming and extent of quiet roads like the Jura.
  • durhamwasp
    Yes, now looking most likely we will split it between the Vosges and Jura, and some nicer climbs to be had in the Vosges!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I did the Doucier area last year and will be returning soon. There are some lovely HC climbs south around Annecy but some of the roads can get busy (relatively) so travel to/from start points can be longer than planned. Hence, I did most of my cycling local (Grande-Reviere, etc.) and enjoyed it thoroughly.

All in all, the Jura region is fantastic for cycling with good condition roads, quiet routes and excellent hospitality. There are usually water sources in many villages to make up for the lack of shops, etc., but check for the "non-potable" signs.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I just drink the water anyway!

I guess the OP wants to avoid the Swiss Jura due to the high prices, but there are some wonderful places to visit and explore by bike including the picturesque villages of St. Ursanne and Soubey, Les Gorges du Pichoux as well as horror climbs like Weissenstein a bit further south near Solothurn.

13761-2.jpg

It's wonderful cycling area.
  • durhamwasp
    Yeah, we did Switzerland and Germany last year, both fantastic for cycling. We've done the alps several times, so wanting to check out Jura and Vosges, also a little bit less driving.

Climbs wise, should be able to find time for the Ballon d'Alsace, Col du Grand Ballon, Col de la Schlucht and maybes Planches des Belle Filles.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    durhamwasp wrote:
    Yeah, we did Switzerland and Germany last year, both fantastic for cycling. We've done the alps several times, so wanting to check out Jura and Vosges, also a little bit less driving.

Climbs wise, should be able to find time for the Ballon d'Alsace, Col du Grand Ballon, Col de la Schlucht and maybes Planches des Belle Filles.

But the Swiss Jura is to the northeast of the French Jura and closer to the Vosges than the French Jura! I'm not talking about the Alps here. Completely different area.
  • durhamwasp
    ok, cheers! Will bear it in mind for future... Would love to go to Switzerland again, Furka, Grimsel, Susten and Gotthard Passes to do. Just a shame about their dislike of motorhomes parking anywhere but campsites, and general high prices...
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    durhamwasp wrote:

You can also add the Platzerwassel to that list, (cat 1). Look at the stages of the Tour in the Vosges this year and there are a lot of opportunities. One thing I liked was the ability to do rides from short to long from the same base. The Schlucht, Petit Ballon and Platzerwassel fit together into one circuit quite nicely.

Over and down the Schlucht is good in itself - nice climb and a great descent to both sides.

And in the afternoon - the route des vins offer a good opportunity for recovery :D