Carrera Fury Or Voodoo Hoodoo?

lordjj
lordjj Posts: 2
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

Looking for a new entry level bike, I've always had crappy £100 bikes which tend to break after a couple months use and have decided to finally bite the bullet and get a decent bike, max budget of £500 although I'd like to keep it closer to £400 if at all possible

Bike will be used for getting to/from work and the gym and moderate trail riding at the weekends (worth mentioning that my commute isn't very long, only about a mile)

after much searching and comparisons I've narrowed my search down to these two:

Carrera Fury
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

Voodoo Hoodoo
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... ogId=10151

Both are currently going for £499 at halfords and through various discounts I can get them down to about £430
from what Ive read the carrera has the better spec but the voodoo seems to get a lot of love and I've read in a few places that its a better overall bike despite the slightly lower spec. In your opinion which is the better bike with both at the same pricepoint?

I've also been looking into the rockrider 8.1 from decathlon which by all accounts is a great bike, however its currently listed on decathlons website at £550 so is slightly overbudget for me, I plan to go take a look instore next week to see if they have any of the older models knocking around for cheaper but for the moment my choice is between the fury and the hoodoo

I'm 5ft 7in and 140lbs if that helps any!

I'm completely new to all this so any help/ suggestions are greatly appreciated :D

Thanks

Comments

• IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    I'd go with the Fury as it has an air fork.

My last bike was the previous Fury model and it was superb.
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    The Fury has been £600 for ages, at the same price it is no competition really, it's 10 speed too
  • clydefrog
    clydefrog Posts: 162
    The Fury over the Hoodoo but I'd probably pay the extra £50 for the rockrider 8.1. However if you can get the Fury for £430 as you say and really can't go over the £500 budget, get the Fury.
  • phippski
    phippski Posts: 17
    I've got the voodoo and I love it. I'm no expert but I guess the £600 bike for £430 would be the better deal. Which ever you choose will be a great bike for the money.