Tyre sidewall split - ride or throw

nigelgos
nigelgos Posts: 128
edited June 2014 in Workshop
I've put a puncture repair on the inside of the offending bit. You can see the orange of the puncture repair poking through. Safe to continue ridng on, or don't risk it? Annoyingly the tyre has done less than 2000 miles since purchase at the end of Feb. It's the second time it's happened.

It's a GP4000.

http://twitpic.com/e6kbua

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    It is a big cut, but a decent boot should hold that - BUT ONLY ON THE REAR, I wouldn't be tempted to even try that tyre on the front. Swap tyres around if required.

I wouldn't be riding it as it is though. Get a boot in there.

2000 miles isn't so bad though - I've bust a tyre in it's first 100 miles, that's when it really makes you cry.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've got worse on a GP4Season - held together by some gaffertape - but as Marcus says - only on the rear ...
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I can't see the photo due to crappy IE8 at work, but as the tyre has done 2000 miles I'd probably replace it. Its not bad mileage.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • lapavoni10
    lapavoni10 Posts: 146
    if you have ever had a blowout, you would not ride it...and I mean a sudden deflation.

I had a wolber pista blow when it was at 180psi, took two spokes out and almost trashed the wheel...luckily it was just standing there and I was not riding it....bloody loud though!
  • nigelgos
    nigelgos Posts: 128
    lapavoni10 wrote:
    if you have ever had a blowout, you would not ride it...and I mean a sudden deflation.

I had a wolber pista blow when it was at 180psi, took two spokes out and almost trashed the wheel...luckily it was just standing there and I was not riding it....bloody loud though!

I have had a front blowout... just not at high speed/downhill. Just ordered a new tyre - £26.50 is cheaper than reconstructive surgery :D It just seems a shame that the tyre has potentially lots of miles left.
  • lapavoni10
    lapavoni10 Posts: 146
    good choice...you know it will end in tears and you will say "what the hell was I thinking!"
  • damocles10
    damocles10 Posts: 340
    Bin it.....It might blow out and eating tarmac is not much fun.

I have tried this in the past and this repair should be considered as a temporary fix ( to get you home ). The inner tube will most likely fail with high pressures and an obstruction inside the tyre. Make sure sure all edges of the tyre patch are sanded , smooth and rounded off. I hope this helps.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    A toothpaste tube tyre boot will support that OK. I have one in my rear wheel right now for a very similar looking nick - it's been in there since the spring so it's done a fair few miles. A big bit of toothpaste tube wrapped a couple of times around the inner tube in the right spot and you can forget about it.

A puncture repair patch is not strong enough to last for long.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Boot on and then use as a Turbo tyre!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Why on earth would you not just replace it?
  • desweller
    Because capable human beings can fix things by means other than just replacement.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • boomco21
    boomco21 Posts: 22
    Get a new tyre, not because you need to, but you will have that constant nagging doubt everytime you ride otherwise
  • skeff10
    skeff10 Posts: 93
    +1for new tyre
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    DesWeller wrote:
    Because capable human beings can fix things by means other than just replacement.

Tyre boot is not a fix but a a 'get you home' bodge. leaving it like that permanently is cheapskate.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    boomco21 wrote:
    Get a new tyre, not because you need to, but you will have that constant nagging doubt everytime you ride otherwise

^^^^^ This (otherwise your mind will play tricks on you and you keep stopping to check it and never feel happy and complacent...
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,043
    Some tyre boots that actually stick to the inside of the tyre are probably a decent permanent fix - I've used them as a get you home over about 40 miles and descended at full speed on them and when I did come to bin the tyre the boot looked stuck to the tyre and as long as it had stayed stuck it would have been fine - it wasn't bonded on like a patch on an inner tube though. That said I still binned the tyre before the next ride - if I'd wiped out because of it I'd never have forgiven myself for taking the risk.

I had to bin a Pro4 with less than 200 miles on it last week so if someone did marked something as a permanent tyre repair patch to go on the inside I think it might sell.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • desweller
    Semantik wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:

Tyre boot is not a fix but a a 'get you home' bodge. leaving it like that permanently is cheapskate.

Presumably you have evidence that fitting a boot to a tyre will not last for long enough. My experience says different. I've run tyres for thousands of miles this way with zero failures.

And if 'cheapskate' is synonymous with avoiding profligacy with the resources around you then guilty as charged m'lud.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}