Voodoo Bizango disc brakes rubbing

nathan2o14
nathan2o14 Posts: 9
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, I'm relatively new to the world of mountain biking and recently bought myself a hard tail 29er. I have had the bike in twice to get looked at as there is a running sound coming from the rear disk brake when the wheel reaches certain positions. The pads were adjusted on first visit to shop and the second visit they bled the brakes.

Is this just a case of the brakes needing to bed in as they have told me in the shop or should I take it to another store to get looked at? I wouldn't mind picking up some tools and adjusting them myself if it was easy enough but I don't want to adjust anything if it is merely the brake pads need to wear in.

Any help or suggestions would be great. :?:

Thanks

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Discs are never totally straight and there is often a wheel position where there will be a faint scraping noise its usually just a pad touching the disc lightly. If the wheel is spinning freely dont worry but if the brakes are dragging then they probably need tweaking and or a clean.

Plenty of vids on youtube and parktools.com is a good source of info. If they do need realigning its a job that just needs a 5mm allen key and a bottomless supply of patience.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Great thanks for the tip. I don't think it's obscuring the wheel. I don't think they cleaned the pads so I might try removing them this evening and cleaning them.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't. Step away from the pads. They don't need cleaning.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That ^
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Obscuring the wheel? You mean you can't see the wheel?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Apologies I meant obstructing. I took the wheel it and reseated it into the QR and got it to spin stop making the sound. However it still makes the sound when I am on the bike cycling. I was wondering if it could be my weight on the bike or can you think of anything else that may be causing it?
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    reset the brake alignment, loosen the caliper bolts off and hold the brake lever then retighten the bolts. There could be too much fluid in the system too
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    I don't think I've ever had perfectly silent running disc brakes. There is always a noise of some sort, whether there is a bit of grit in the pads, or the caliper is slightly out of alignment.

Right now my rear disc is producing a high pitch squeal/squeak as I'm riding. I'f sure it is the alignment of the caliper as when I slightly squeeze the brake to take the play out of the pads the noise stops. Also there is a 'tinging' sound which I guess could be down to the fact that the brake bolts are done up tightly enough and there is a tiny amount of play in the rotor and it's enough to produce the high pitch 'tinging'.

I know it just needs a good service, re-alignment and all will be well.

You could always buy a Hope rear hub and the clicking from that will drown out any other noise your bike can make anyway!
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • It only seems to appear when I am on the bike cycling though. Perhaps maybe a slightly bent axle on the rear wheel? I haven't had the bike that long.
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    Take the QR wheel skewer out and check, it's possible but unlikely.
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    nathan2o14 wrote:
    It only seems to appear when I am on the bike cycling though. Perhaps maybe a slightly bent axle on the rear wheel? I haven't had the bike that long.

It could be the flex of the axle as it is a QR setup.
    If you really want to tinker, loosen the two calliper bolts then pull and hold the brake lever to centre on the disc, then tighten the two bolts again whilst holding the lever. It usually works but if not, you can manually set the calliper position by looking down on it from above.

Other than that, the best thing to do is ride the bike for a few weeks and let the pads bed in!
  • All part of the bedding the pads in process, disc pads rubbing on the rotors is fine as long as its not to the extent that its slowing the wheel down to quick it will be fine, I myself was obsessed over slight scruffing noises from pads on rotor,now I don't notice it, everybody has slight rotor rub!
    'I'll trek two please....!
    To HT or not to HT is the question...