Cannondale Synapse - Lowering the Bars

Secteur
Secteur Posts: 1,971
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Hello everyone,

I bought a 2014 Synapse yesterday, and other than the *slightly* too tall headset, it's perfect.

My intention was to immediately switch 10mm of spacers from below to above the stem, and hence drop the bars by 10mm and make it perfect.

However, the Cannondale literature says this should NEVER be done, however I see many Synapse owners do do this without any problems.

I think it's to do with the carbon steerer and lining up the stem bolt pinch points on the outside of the steere with the internal steerer "bung" on the inside of the steerer to balance out the crushing forces on the steering tube. By removing spacers from under the stem, the bung may no longer line up with the stem bolts.

Before I get the steerer tube cut by 10mm, can anyone offer any advice on putting spacers above the stem on this specific bike? Within sensible limits, is it safe as I suspect it is? Or is it really a no-no on this bike for some reason?

Many thanks for any advice offered!

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12972159

have a read of this recent thread. I think you're right about the reason for Cannondale's advice. Opinion seems divided on whether you are safe to ignore it.
  • Secteur
    Thankyou - this is exactly what I was looking for, though I am still unsure that I have received a definitive answer!

I suspect cutting the steerer tube is the safest way to go, rather than putting spacers above the stem, however if the compression bung can be extended to sit level with the new lower position of the stem bolts, then it shouldnt matter.

I am pretty sure the compression bung can be lenghtened by 10mm at least by turning the screw.
  • Secteur
    PS I havent even done a ride on my new bike yet, so this all may be academic, but I can "just tell" by looking at the headset stack that it's a little teeny bit too high.

I may discuss it with my LBS next week.

Thanks again.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Secteur,
    Certainly my Synapse, even though it is 2008, sounds like it is the same as yours. Mine is a Si bung and I think offes the same as yours in terms of supporting the steerer tube on the inside.

14487455303_74a953c076_z.jpg
    20140620_185021 by Brett-GT40, on Flickr
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon