Sora 9 speed cassette upgrade to a Ultegra 11

Chunky101
Chunky101 Posts: 108
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Just upgraded my wheelset and have donated my old ones to the mrs. My old wheels have an Ultegra 6800 11 speed cassette and her old ones have a Sora 9 speed. Excuse the stupid question but will my old wheels/cassette drop straight into her bike or will there likely be issues with the cage length?

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    The problem is not the cage length it's that she has a 9 speed groupset and you're trying to use an 11 speed cassette.
    The width and spacing of the sprockets will not match the chain and the levers will give you 9 derailleur positions not 11.
    You should keep the 9 speed cassette and just switch the wheel. I think you'll need spacers to locate the cassette correctly on the hub.
  • Chunky101
    Ah ok thanks for clarifying, I was trying to leave my old cassette installed so I could whip them over again if I were to ever do something Roubaix-esque.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Chunky101 wrote:
    Ah ok thanks for clarifying, I was trying to leave my old cassette installed so I could whip them over again if I were to ever do something Roubaix-esque.
    Changing cassettes is a simple task if you get a lock ring tool and a chainwhip. Only takes a couple of minutes. I'm sure a LBS will do it very cheaply too but you can get the tools for about £15-20
  • Chunky101
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Changing cassettes is a simple task if you get a lock ring tool and a chainwhip. Only takes a couple of minutes. I'm sure a LBS will do it very cheaply too but you can get the tools for about £15-20

Cheers, shopping for tools now :)