Oil on Fox Forks

steelo
steelo Posts: 542
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
After the last couple of rides (15miles XC) i've noticed lots of oily crud on my left fork upper. The are Fox Float RL 32mm 2009 model. The forks were serviced after the 1st year but haven't been since, and were unused from Feb 2011 to Mar 2014. Since then they've done about 200 miles (40/50 hours) of XC riding. After wiping the stanchion down and then 'bouncing' the fork through 4-5 compressions there is a definite film of oil and a tide mark on the left stanchion. This isn't something i've noticed before.

I've read a few posts on here and the general response tends to be "dust wiper seals/oil seals need replacing - buy a kit and do it yourself".

Is it a straightforward job to do or should I just pay the money and send the forks to TF Tuned for a full service?

Or is it something worse?!?
Specialized Rockhopper '07
Trek Fuel EX8 '09

Comments

• Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    wrote:
    "dust wiper seals/oil seals need replacing - buy a kit and do it yourself".

?
    ^ indeed, and it's easy, DIY
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    probably dont need replacing, just cleaning. Wait until TF have Racing Bros seals back in and buy those and a lube kit. Messing with forks is actually quite fun and easy to do.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    benpinnick wrote:
    Messing with forks is actually quite fun and easy to do.
    But the Messing bit is very true, that ruddy oil goes/gets everywhere!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    What's the best guide to follow with regards to replacing the seals?
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The tech docs on the Fox website.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193
    steelo wrote:
    Is it a straightforward job to do or should I just pay the money and send the forks to TF Tuned for a full service?
    Or is it something worse?!?

Me and a friend serviced our forks a couple of weeks ago. Easy enough job to do.

I was advised by someone on here to check stanchion wear behind the seals, which one of the pair had due to a split seal. New seals helped the oil leak but hasn't cured it.