Modern Cars... unnecessary gubbins....

debeli
debeli Posts: 583
edited July 2014 in The cake stop
I've just replaced the faithful main family car with another similar one at auction. It's a modest MPV with 7 seats and as few flashy bits as I could find. That's been the standard family vehicle since we started multiplying.

This new wagon is a low-mileage 2011/11 econobox MPV and even though I tried to minimise the toys, I find it has the following:

Auto headlights. These are on most rental cars these days and seem simply bizarre. How hard is it to flick a switch?

Auto wipers. As above. It is not difficult to make a judgement and flick a column stalk.

Reversing sensors.... What? It's a f**cking MPV... the rear window is where the rear of the car is. How hard can it be?

Alloy wheels. They may be lighter, but a nice pressed-steel rim is hardly heavy. Steel wheels are just so much nicer and more subtle.

Bizarre tyre sizes: 205/60-16s on a car making barely 130bhp. My mother-in-law's Fiesta sits on 40-profile tyres. Do we really need all that tread and so little cushioning from a decent sidewall? Whatever happened to proper tyre sizes like 175/90 14?

Privacy glass. Privacy glass? Privacy glass! It's a car..... Why does every model above the basic now need privacy glass? Privacy for whom and from what?

A gazillion cup holders, but none of them is large enough for a proper 'bidon', like the ones my kids use at training sessions... Grrrr...

A plethora of airbags that may or may not save my life but will render any car more than a few years old an uneconomical repair after a light impact.

There are more things I might go on about, but I've had my rant fix for the day.

Seriously.... what is wrong with a seat, a steering wheel and some pedals?

Bring back the 2CV and the 4L and proper cars like that. Pffff....

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've got a 2002 lexus RX300, the spark plugs last for 60,000 miles. Which is a verg good thing as the inlet manifold has to be removed to change them!!!

I also have a Cortina based kit car, its soooooo simple to service and fix problems. On any mildly modern car I just wouldn't know where to start. Hell I sometimes can't even find to bl**dy dip stick.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Wow. You really need to review your life.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Series II Land Rover. Sorted.

I just bought a dinky little newish car that's refreshingly short of toys. It has a wireless with LW for the cricket, somewhere for the sun-glasses that I don't wear, skinny tyres and not much go in it but it goes round corners like a go-kart compared to the old tub. Does 50+ to the gallon too, which is nice. Down-sizing can be good.
  • debeli

NO!!!

I do not need to review anything. It's the car manufacturers who need to change! How can you even say that?

Are you one of those young people they have now? I bet you are!! You're probably one of those young people who design modern cars and vacuum packaging for supermarket fish fillets and toothbrushes with bendy handles and...

Grrrrr!

There are not enough expletives to signify how cross you young people make me. Not even half enough.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
  • drlodge
    Debeli wrote:
    There are not enough expletives to signify how cross you young people make me. Not even half enough.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

You grumpy old git. Just like me :lol:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Debeli wrote:

NO!!!

I do not need to review anything. It's the car manufacturers who need to change! How can you even say that?

Are you one of those young people they have now? I bet you are!! You're probably one of those young people who design modern cars and vacuum packaging for supermarket fish fillets and toothbrushes with bendy handles and...

Grrrrr!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

The answer is DACIA....
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    The post is barmy. Why argue about safety features ?
    Could you imagine what would have happened if I had posted this :)
    Living MY dream.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    The planet is going to hell in a handcart and this is what gets you upset?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Why did you buy the car if it had loads of stuff on you don't want?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    I tell you, there have been some ridiculous grumpy old humbug posts on here recently, but the OP takes the biscuit.

As above, don't you have more important things to worry (and, I'm sure, moan) about? You bought the car, so how about we all have a whinge about the idiots that buy cars they don't like? Or is this a spoof and we've all missed it?

Are you one of the twits who drives around with no lights on after dusk, or in awful weather? Maybe not, but those 'bizarre' automated features might just save a life in such cases.

You can, of course, disable these features. Put on steel wheels if you want. I'm fortunate to have all those features on my car, and it's great - I get in, and all my attention is directed toward driving.

Perhaps one of these would suit, for the Luddites among us:

97917-01_4.jpg

(I didn't include a horse in the pic, incase that was a bit 'new fangled').
  • trekker12
    trekker12 Posts: 99
    I agree,

All this stuff has taken the enjoyment from driving. Safety features are fine but everything else is just there to remove the 'horrible' experience of driving away from the driver.

I own a 1976 MGB and my father owns a 1954 MGTF. Neither car has any mod cons (or windows in the case of the TF) and driving both cars is an absolute pleasure. Alright they are not very fast and nor are they the most efficient vehicles on the planet (although the TF has quite respectable MPG from it's 1250cc engine).

Most importantly you are involved in the driving experience, you feel the road, you hear the engine and you have your senses alerted to the fact you are in a tin can which if not paying attention has the potential to hurt someone.

Modern cars have removed all sensation of driving which in my humble opinion is responsible for an increase in accidents - although I will say surviving those accidents is much increased so a combination of the two would be good.

Oh and obviously modern cars are more reliable but at least with the old cars I can get the car moving again (usually) with just a simple tool kit and a bit of understanding of how it works.
    2007 Trek 1.2
    2014 Genesis Equilibrium 20
  • VTech
    trekker12 wrote:
    I agree,

All this stuff has taken the enjoyment from driving. Safety features are fine but everything else is just there to remove the 'horrible' experience of driving away from the driver.

I own a 1976 MGB and my father owns a 1954 MGTF. Neither car has any mod cons (or windows in the case of the TF) and driving both cars is an absolute pleasure. Alright they are not very fast and nor are they the most efficient vehicles on the planet (although the TF has quite respectable MPG from it's 1250cc engine).

Most importantly you are involved in the driving experience, you feel the road, you hear the engine and you have your senses alerted to the fact you are in a tin can which if not paying attention has the potential to hurt someone.

Modern cars have removed all sensation of driving which in my humble opinion is responsible for an increase in accidents - although I will say surviving those accidents is much increased so a combination of the two would be good.

Oh and obviously modern cars are more reliable but at least with the old cars I can get the car moving again (usually) with just a simple tool kit and a bit of understanding of how it works.

Take a modern car on the nordschleife and the fun you will have would be immense.
    PS doesn't stop fun !
    Living MY dream.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    trekker12 wrote:
    I agree,

I'm sure they're both great fun when that's what you want. But for a long journey, late at night, in foul weather? Not so much. For carrying passengers? I don't have kids, but when I do I'd transport them in my SUV rather than an MG.

You're right though - luxury and convenience means no chance of servicing (let alone fixing) your own vehicle these days. I remember (ALMOST fondly!) the days by the roadside, pretty confident I could get my Mk1 Golf GTI going again.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    I like auto lights, wipers on the other hand I don't really care as they aren't that good.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • debeli
    NapoleonD wrote:

You ask a very good question. Why indeed?

I did go up to the chap at the front with the hammer and outline my preferred specification to him (including details such as colour, engine type, mileage, options and trim level).

Quite outrageously (as I'm sure any sane person would agree) he just gave me a blank stare before going back to his microphone and saying something like: "Do-I-hear-six-do-I-hear-six-who'll-start-me-at-six-it's-the-TDCi-model-with-all-the-stamps-in-the-book-and-the-panoramic-moonroof-full-leather-I've-got-six-over-there...six-one-at-the-back-it's-with-you-sir-six-two? Six-two-six-three-six-four-do-I-hear-five?" He carried on like this for some moments.

Not only does this make no grammatical sense, it was all spoken too quickly for most honest folk to understand. Whenever I raised my voice he just hit the counter with his hammer and started to talk about another car.

I gather that one gets little say in specification or desired paint finish when shopping at one of these new-fangled discount-auction houses that they have now.

Need I add that this wouldn't have happened in my day?

And do you know, it doesn't even have a spare wheel? Just an electric pump and some goo. No spare wheel. Whatever next?
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    i like all of the toys, safety features, but there again I have moved with the times
    BTW the chap with the hammer is an auctioneer, not a car salesman or your personal shopper :|
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bianchimoon
    Debeli wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

You ask a very good question. Why indeed?

I did go up to the chap at the front with the hammer and outline my preferred specification to him (including details such as colour, engine type, mileage, options and trim level).

Quite outrageously (as I'm sure any sane person would agree) he just gave me a blank stare before going back to his microphone and saying something like: "Do-I-hear-six-do-I-hear-six-who'll-start-me-at-six-it's-the-TDCi-model-with-all-the-stamps-in-the-book-and-the-panoramic-moonroof-full-leather-I've-got-six-over-there...six-one-at-the-back-it's-with-you-sir-six-two? Six-two-six-three-six-four-do-I-hear-five?" He carried on like this for some moments.

Not only does this make no grammatical sense, it was all spoken too quickly for most honest folk to understand. Whenever I raised my voice he just hit the counter with his hammer and started to talk about another car.

I gather that one gets little say in specification or desired paint finish when shopping at one of these new-fangled discount-auction houses that they have now.

Need I add that this wouldn't have happened in my day?

And do you know, it doesn't even have a spare wheel? Just an electric pump and some goo. No spare wheel. Whatever next?

ahh i see, humour.. without the funny bits
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,878
    edited June 2014
    I can't help but think air bags are probably a good thing and judging by the number of people driving round south London with their lights off (especially around the time the clocks change) so are automatic lights.

I drove a VW with an electronic handbrake (positioned under the steering wheel for some reason) a couple of weeks ago though and that was just awful.
    I don't get on with those fuel saver automatic engine shut offs either.

Mind you, I haven't owned a car for over 10 years so when my new car arrives next month it'll probably take me a year to get used to it, whatever features it has.
  • drlodge
    I hate anti-lock brakes especially when its icy, they always kick in too early and I lose control over my braking. Much prefer to feel the feedback and apply the human element.
    Find me on Strava
  • VTech
    drlodge wrote:
    I hate anti-lock brakes especially when its icy, they always kick in too early and I lose control over my braking. Much prefer to feel the feedback and apply the human element.

Go on a skid test course. ABS saves countless lives yearly and I would guess saves 50% on insurance premiums.
    Living MY dream.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    drlodge wrote:

I have done a fair bit of rally driving and circuit racing in the past so I think I am quite handy in a car. I just wish I had your senses. You can get feedback on ice better than an ABS. Wow that's super human.

I survived a head on into a lorry thanks to air bags. The more the better.

As for rain sense wipers. I had them and changed car to one without and that was the first thing I missed.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    The guy i support has a vauxhall astra. All the things mentioned plus more. Automatic lights and wipers. Scares the pants of me when im reversing and it starts beeping at me. And an eco engine that cuts out everytime i stop. And a dashboard that looks like the bridge of the starship enterprise. And lots of other stuff i havent figured out yet...
  • bianchimoon
    drlodge wrote:
    ahh, ABS almost certainly saved my life once allowing me to steer round a low trailer rather than de-capitate myself... amazing invention
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    Bizarre tyre sizes: 205/60-16s on a car making barely 130bhp. My mother-in-law's Fiesta sits on 40-profile tyres. Do we really need all that tread and so little cushioning from a decent sidewall? Whatever happened to proper tyre sizes like 175/90 14?

This^^

You simply can’t buy a premium brand car these days without a big-wheel/low profile combination as standard! The only reason is looks; by any practical measure a higher profile tires is the better choice 99% of the time.

During the development of the mid-90’s BMW M3 (the first straight-6 version) the engineering staff apparently wanted a medium-profile tire in order that they could minimise the bushing in the suspension, giving better steering feel and yet still retaining what they deemed to be a sensible level of ride comfort – from their perspective that gave the optimum setup for a road car. That plan was flat out veto’d by the marketing people, rubber-band tires made the car look ‘ard and sporty so the car would just have to have them and be not quite as good as it could otherwise have been. (It a measure of how far the madness has gone that if you see one in original trim today the sidewalls look quite tall...)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    For me, I agree with the OP on a lot of points. But, I do think airbags and ABS are undoubtedly a good thing. I wouldn't want auto lights, wipers or handbrake for myself. But the number of complete morons I see driving around with fog lights left on when it isn't foggy or various other minor irritations make me think maybe these things are a good idea for many.
    But I'd also rather fix the car myself than plug in into a computer for a diagnostic. Completely agree about tyre sizes and ultra low profile tyres, ridiculous things.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    drlodge wrote:
    I had an Audi 100 years ago with a switch that could turn the ABS off when needed. Excellent idea.

I'm with the OP on a lot of the things he says. The answer is people in general are morons and have to be protected from themselves, hence the safety stuff. People are also morons because they believe in style over substance, hence blingy alloy wheels and stupid tyres, lights etc.
    Sells cars, though.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DesB3rd wrote:

This^^

You simply can’t buy a premium brand car these days without a big-wheel/low profile combination as standard! The only reason is looks; by any practical measure a higher profile tires is the better choice 99% of the time.

You struggle to buy an ordinary family saloon these days without ludicrous wheels and tyres on.

Thing is, there is no intelligence behind the application of technology to cars (or anything else for that matter). It is never about what is needed but rather about what can be done. It wouldn't be so bad if there was a choice but often there isn't.

For example, most cars are probably only driven by one person during their period of ownership. Yet many cars have a whole sequence of electric motors built into the seats that are therefore, effectively, for one time use. And if they were optional, the purchaser might have spent a four figure sum on them. And when you do want to use those motors and you discover that they have packed in, the dealership wants £1500 to fix them. The only time I ever adjust my seat is after it's been driven by my mechanic at annual service time and it takes me about 5 seconds to manually readjust it.

And then what about the windows? Why do I need a drivers side electric window? Or any electric windows in the back. I can see why I need a passenger side one but I'd like again not to have to pay more to have a load of unneccessary weight that serves no useful purpose other than to reduce the fuel consumption of the car.

I'm not saying that if you are a berk and want electric windows all round then you shouldn't be able to choose them, but I would like not to choose them.

The intelligent application of technology is great. Unfortunately, there isn't enough of it. People don't know when to stop.

This is why I would never buy a modern car.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Cost me nearly £300 :evil: to replace the motors for the front electric windows on my Renault. As there's no manual way of opening them it was difficult to avoid the expense and a blinking annoying expense.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    The only modern aspect of my 1956 BMW Isetta is centralized door locking :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    team47b wrote:
    The only modern aspect of my 1956 BMW Isetta is centralized door locking :D
    :lol: Ahead of their time in so many ways.