Road routes in Murcia

messy1972
messy1972 Posts: 27
edited June 2014 in Tour & expedition
Hi
We are going to stay at a friends villa in August at El Valle Golf Resort near Murcia. We are taking road bikes (as I have no intention of playing golf!). Does anybody know the area or can anyone suggest some good routes?
Thanks

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    I'm off to Orihuela Costa next week, just up the coast. PM me.
  • messy1972
    messy1972 Posts: 27
    I've tried to PM but it doesn't seem to let me. Not sure if it's my number of posts or if the system is down again :(
  • Staying at El Valle means you're in a great starting position for routes. To the north you've got the hills around the city of Murcia which has a fair few narrow, twisting roads with at least one of the climbs used in the Vuelta. To the east and south it's going to get flat (and I mean panflat) so if you want to train for cross winds it's great! If you go far enough south there's a few hills around Cartagena that are nice enough. Overall the roads go like this, APs (motorways) are not for bikes, main roads are busy enough but you get lots of room, 'B' type roads are quiet and rural roads are kinda devoid of motorised traffic. Murcia for me is the most pleasant place I've ever ridden (other than the cross winds).
    You hear that? He's up there... mewing in the nerve centre of his evil empire. A ground rent increase here, a tax dodge there? he sticks his leg in the air, laughs his cat laugh... and dives back down to grooming his balls!
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Staying at El Valle means you're in a great starting position for routes. To the north you've got the hills around the city of Murcia which has a fair few narrow, twisting roads with at least one of the climbs used in the Vuelta. To the east and south it's going to get flat (and I mean panflat) so if you want to train for cross winds it's great! If you go far enough south there's a few hills around Cartagena that are nice enough. Overall the roads go like this, APs (motorways) are not for bikes, main roads are busy enough but you get lots of room, 'B' type roads are quiet and rural roads are kinda devoid of motorised traffic. Murcia for me is the most pleasant place I've ever ridden (other than the cross winds).

That just about sums it up for cycling but you are missing out if you do not play golf there. El Valle is a fine golf course. The rest of the place is usually like a ghost town but if should be a bit busier in school holidays. Have great time.