Richmond Park to Esher

mtb-idle
mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
edited June 2014 in Commuting chat
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a decent way to get from RP to Esher for tomorrow evening.

I'm in Canary Wharf and usually head south across Tower Bridge and through the direst parts of SE London to Ewell but I also regularly head further West and am comfortable getting to RP so don't need help on that bit.

But once I'm in RP (arriving via Priory Lane: not sure what the gate name is) I assume I head ACW up Sawyers Hill.

What's the best route from there to say Esher High Street?
FCN = 4

Comments

• Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    There's quite a quiet route through the back streets of Thames Ditton but the easiest way is to head through Kingston, along the river towards Surbitton and then keep going straight form there - over the Scilly Isles roundabout and then on past Sandown to Esher - can't be more than 5-7 miles.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    As above - A308 and A307 is the easiest way (although its main roads) and is a route I go from London to Guildford.

There is a cut through RP, I made this route for your convenience ;-)

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5072721
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mtb-idle
    cheers guys, looks pretty straightforward. after battling my way across from CW I think i will stick to the easiest way/main road.
    FCN = 4
  • drlodge
    The cut-through RP is flatter (missing out a hill) and car free.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Drlodge's route is about the route I would take if I wanted the fast and easy route. You'd be just fine following that.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    that is almost my journey home so say if you want more detail for finding your way from RP through Kingston?

I have put a fair bit of work into making my route as safe/unfaffy as possible so would suggest CS3 to Tower Hill pick up racetrack all the way to Lots Rd then through Chelsea Harbour straight over Wandsworth Bridge Rd which takes you up to Putney Bridge then up over Barnes Common to RP
  • mtb-idle
    I'm actually showing a mate who lives in the Wild, wild East of London (Wanstead) the way so I want to take him along Embankment and through RP to show him how good the West is.

The West is the best, get here and we'll do the rest as my lifelong idol wrote and once sang.
    FCN = 4
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    as he is coming in from the slums you could take him up through Traflgar Sq then straight up the Mall to le Palais then the length of NKR to see the sights on a summers eveneing
  • mtb-idle
    edited June 2014
    all worked out well and my mate was impressed with the sights and sounds of the west as well as all the other cyclists; he normally doesnt see anyone else

long way home
    FCN = 4
  • There's this one hill in Esher that seems like it goes on forever!
  • drlodge
    There's this one hill in Esher that seems like it goes on forever!

I can't think of any "proper hils" in Esher...where are you referring to? Lammas Lane?
    Find me on Strava
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    drlodge wrote:

I can't think of any "proper hils" in Esher...where are you referring to? Lammas Lane?

There is the Col du Sandown? Almost as steep as the Col du Balham in places.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • drlodge
    Ah, you must be referring to More Lane which goes round the back of Sandown Race Course (known in my family as "the quiet road" for obvious reasons).
    Find me on Strava
  • Bikequin wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

There is the Col du Sandown? Almost as steep as the Col du Balham in places.

This one:

escher_stairs.jpg

I am disappointed in all of you.